The Batman: Part II: Filming Stopped! Should We Be Worried?
The Batman: Part II has had one of the most infamous and frustrating productions of the last couple of years. Just a few months back, it was reported that the movie had been delayed from October 2027 to February 2028. Filming has been going on for a few months now and yesterday it was reported that the film has paused filming due to Matt Reeves stepping back due to personal issues. This has raised a lot of questions and concerns for many of us fans, what do I think about it? Am I concerned?
My Thoughts
As I have said, the production for The Batman: Part II has been interesting. This movie has had multiple delays to the point where it is now set to release almost 6 years to the day after The Batman (2022) released. This movie was supposed to come out on October 3rd, 2025, but due the strikes and other reasons it got pushed to October 2nd, 2026, then to October 1st, 2027, and as of now its not releasing until February 18th, 2028. They started filming this movie in June 2026, and now production has been haunted due to Matt Reeves stepping away for personal reasons.
There have been some rumors and chat on the internet ever since the film was delayed to 2027 that there is something going on in Matt Reeves’ personal life that is why the film has continued to get delayed. Well with the report that we got yesterday, it sounds like that’s part of what is going on. I will say this; Batman and this universe can wait. I am wishing nothing but the best to Matt Reeves and his family and whatever issues they are going through get resolved. There have been some jerks on the internet that are making this personal to Matt Reeves and getting mad that production has stopped. If you are one of these people, you are stupid and a jerk. Reeves’ personal life and family should come before making a Batman movie that is not as important as his personal life and family.
Will It Keep Its February 2028 Release/New Director?
There have been two major questions that people are asking themselves after this information has dropped and both questions go together….
First, will the film keep its February 2028 release date? This one is going to depend on how long of a production halt this movie has. They are already four months into filming which means they are deep into filming, I do not know how much longer they have to film, I would guess anywhere between two and four months. I will say this, I think if they can get production up and going sometime before Thanksgiving then it is keeping its February 2028 release date. If it does not look like the filming is able to start filming until early 2027 then we could be looking at another delay for the film. Time will tell, but if they can get started filming around Thanksgiving time so in five to six weeks then I think it is keeping its February 2028 release date, any time after that and it could get delayed.
Second, will Matt Reeves be replaced? This is a question that I have been wondering ever since this was announced. I will say this, if they are not able to get filming up and running again by Thanksgiving, I think Matt Reeves will be replaced as the director. Keep in mind, there is already a script, and people have everything storyboarded so they just need somebody to come in and take what Reeves has written and direct the film and finish it. I proposed this idea to a friend of mine and their response was making the comparison to Justice League (2017), and I get the comparison and the concern, but I do not think it is the same thing. The reason for that is because James Gunn is a smarter human being, he is trying to build his reputation for DC so he wants to do whatever he can to build a good reputation with the public. Plus, Gunn and Reeves are good friends so I do not think Gunn would take the film away from Reeves and make the film his own. Especially since The Batman was a critical and financial success, why would Gunn want to change the tone and style of what Reeves is doing? The reason WB changed Justice League was because Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice were polarizing films; Zack Snyder is a very polarizing director. The Batman was not polarizing at all, not everybody loved it, but it was far from polarizing. Beyond that, WB and DC are in a different place. I do not think they would change it because there’s different people involved and overseeing DC. I get why people at once have that thought and draw that comparison, but I do not think it is the same thing.
The question becomes, who should replace Reeves? I do not know. I do not have a list of directors I want to see replace Reeves. I want and hope Reeves finishes directing the film because The Batman is my favorite movie of the decade so far.

Comments