Spider-Man: Brand New Day Box Office: $900 Million Domestically + $2.4 Billion Worldwide
Spider-Man: Brand New Day has been destroying box office records ever since it first opened back in July. On the one hand, the fact that a new Spider-Man is doing great at the box office should not be too surprising is just the amount of box office records it has broken and how much money it has made. Let us talk about it!
Spider-Man: Brand New Day Box Office Updates
I’ve done a few blog posts now discussing the film’s box office, I talked about its opening weekend and how domestically it beat Avengers: Endgame to be the biggest domestic opening of all time and then debated whether or not Brand New Day could beat Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens to be the highest grossing domestic movie of all time. I have not done one of these in a while and we have some interesting things to talk about.
First up, the movie not only has surpassed $2 billion at the worldwide box office, making it only the eighth movie in history to reach that milestone. But as of September 7th, 2026, the day I am writing this, the movie has also grossed $2.4 billion at the box office. It currently stands to be the third highest grossing movie of all time, only behind Avengers: Endgame and Avatar. That is insane and I do not think it will catch Endgame; the film will remain the 3rd highest grossing of all time. The film is about $391 million behind Endgame and with it already being out for six weekends, it is not going to be catching it. But still, it is a tremendous accomplishment that the film has made $2.4 billion and will be the third highest grossing movie of all time.
The other big milestone that it crossed this past week was that it made $900 million domestically. It has Avengers: Endgame at the domestic box office by about $100 million and is only the second movie in history behind to make $900 million domestically which is The Force Awakens. Right now, The Force Awakens stands at $936.6 million domestically and after this weekend, Brand New Day sits at $917.9 million. Which means that Brand New Day is only $18.7 million away from surpassing The Force Awakens at the domestic box office. By the end of September, early October we will have a new king at the domestic box office. I think the film’s box office will start to go down a bit, we are getting Practical Magic 2 which I think will dethrone Brand New Day at the box office for the weekend. The following weekends we are getting Resident Evil and Avengers: Endgame: Encore. But between the weekdays and weekends, Brand New Day will still surpass The Force Awakens at the domestic box office.
My Thoughts
Spider-Man: Brand New Day’s box office is so interesting to me because on the one hand, nobody is surprised that the film made over $1 billion and is one of 2026’s biggest films. The part that surprises me is that the film is now the second highest grossing comic book movie of all time and has the biggest domestic opening of all time. When Endgame set that record in 2019, I honestly thought that the record would never be broken or it would not at least be broken for a long time.
The fact that a Spider-Man that does not have another Spider-Man in it, has The Hulk and Punisher but it is not the same thing as Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield showing up in No Way Home. They are not on the same level of popularity and hype, but Spider-Man is the most popular superhero. After this movie’s box office, it is locked in the key that Spider-Man is the most popular superhero. You cannot look at these numbers and debate if Batman and Superman surpass him. No, no, no, that title belongs to Spider-Man as people love the character and they love Tom Holland as the character.
When Spider-Man: No Way Home came out and made $1.9 billion I thought that would remain the highest grossing Spider-Man movie unless they find some sort of way to have Holland, Maguire, and Garfield in the movie together for the entire runtime, not just the last third. But these numbers show that we love Spider-Man, but we love Tom Holland Spider-Man and what helped this movie is that we had a five-year gap between films. Between 2016 and 2021, Tom Holland’s Spider-Man appeared in Captain America: Civil War, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Endgame, Spider-Man: Far From Home, and Spider-Man: No Way Home. In the span of five years, he appeared in six films and then took five years off. There is a sense of absence that makes the heart grow fonder as fans were excited to see Tom Holland back as Spider-Man on the big screen. I feel like if this movie came out in 2023 or 2024, I don’t know if it would’ve made the same impact because it was only two or three afters between films whereas with Brand New Day and releasing it in 2026, it’s a five-year gap between movies and audiences are excited to see him on the big screen again.
I loved the movie; I am happy that it is killing it at the box office. I am also shocked that it has made as much money as it has, and the fact that it could end up being the highest grossing movie of all time is insane to me. If Spider-Man: Brand New Day beats Avengers: Doomsday at the box office, that would be shocking and I wonder what the future would be if that happens.

Comments