Daredevil: Born Again To End with Season 3! Why?

Daredevil: Born Again To End with Season 3! Why?

Daredevil fans got some disappointing news the other day where it was being reported that Daredevil: Born Again will end its run with season 3. As a fan of pop culture and Marvel, I wanted to talk about it. What do I think about this news? Am I disappointed? Let us get started!


My Thoughts


         This news was reported by The Hollywood Reporter a couple of days back that said that Daredevil: Born Again will conclude its upcoming third season, which finished filming a few months back and will release sometime in 2027. It sounds like there were plans for them to do a fourth season, but they decided not to move forward and end the show with season three. There are a few different thoughts I have related to this news. 


  First up, ultimately, I am not too surprised the show got canceled because the viewership for seasons 1 and 2 of Daredevil: Born Again were not great. The reviews for both seasons were solid, season 2 seems to be better regarded than season 1. But both seasons were solid (even though I still have not finished season 2) but the viewership for both seasons were not great. I am not entirely sure why, there is so much love for Charlie Cox as Daredevil and Vincent D’Onofrio as Kingpin, and the passionate fanbase is why they got to return on Disney+ for Born Again. Despite there being a lot of love and passion for these characters, it is a very loud and passionate fanbase, but the fanbase itself is not super big. We think it is bigger because they are so vocal but just because they are loud and vocal does not mean that it is big. I think the passion for Charlie and Vincent will always be there and because of that I am sure we will see them again in the future. I doubt Daredevil is in Avengers: Doomsday, but he could be Avengers: Secret Wars are some other Marvel movies that they have planned. 


Second, I find it weird that they announced the show is canceled months before season three is set to release. We do not have a release date or a trailer for this season and it is already canceled. If the viewership for seasons 1 and 2 were not good, now season 3 is going to take another big dip because it does not feel like what is the point. What is the point of watching season 3 if we know the cliffhanger and where it ends does not go anywhere then what is the point of watching. The comparison that comes to mind is Netflix’s adaptation of The Witcher. They announced the show that season 3 was coming…but that Henry Cavill was leaving the show after season 3. It killed all the excitement for the show, in terms of viewership, seasons 1 and 2 did quite well but season 3 did not do well and there was no buzz for season 3 at all. What is going to happen with Daredevil: Born Again season 3, all the excitement that was going into season 1 and 2 is not going to be there now for season 3. Even if season 3 is awesome and it is the best since the Netflix seasons then I do not think that will be enough to make the viewership of the show be great. 


Third, and this is just a rumor and a thought that I have, but I wonder if the cancellation of Daredevil: Born Again season 3 is related to Spider-Man: Brand New Day and that film making $2.5 billion and being the highest-grossing movie at the domestic box office. In that film, one of the key and standout characters was Jon Bernthal’s Punisher. And I wonder if Marvel is looking at that and wondering if they should start incorporating Marvel Netflix characters into the movies. I am not saying that the reason Brand New Day made $2.5 billion is because of Bernthal’s Punisher being in the film, but a Spider-Man movie that makes $2 billion makes these characters more popular. We know a fifth Spider-Man movie with Tom Holland is going to happen, it is bound to happen given the film’s success. Recently, it sounded like Destin Daniel Cretton, the director of Brand New Day, signed a deal with Sony. The plan for Spider-Man 5 is to have a team up with Daredevil and then battling Kingpin or another evil force. I do not know if that is going to happen, but it is a thought that I had and I would not be surprised if there is some connection between the cancellation and the recent tremendous success of Brand New Day. 


Comments