The Odyssey is the Highest-Grossing R-rated Movie of All Time!


The Odyssey is the Highest-Grossing R-rated Movie of All Time!


The box office has been interesting in summer 2026; so many movies are killing it. One of them is The Odyssey, which has broken so many box office records, including one it did a couple of days ago. Let us talk about it all!


The News/My Thoughts 


         If you do not know what The Odyssey did recently, it surpassed Deadpool & Wolverine to become the highest-grossing R-rated movie of all time. The box office for The Odyssey is not slowing down; it has been in theaters for about five weeks now and it is still killing it. This past weekend, it made $100 million and that is why it surpassed Deadpool & Wolverine, so not only did this film surpass it but it is also going to go past Deadpool & Wolverine by a lot. There are some people predicting this film’s box office to end up between $1.5-$1.6 billion. If that is the case, then that is insane. Going into 2026, I had my doubts about The Odyssey making $1 billion, I know that a lot of other people were predicting it, but I just did not see it happening. Once it hit $1 billion, I was skeptical about it reaching Deadpool & Wolverine, and Christopher Nolan has proven me wrong. He did not just make $1 billion, but he is going to make the highest-grossing R-rated movie of all time by a lot. 


  It is weird to say that a Christopher Nolan movie after winning a bunch of Oscars for Oppenheimer is a box office surprise, but I do think that it is a box office surprise. The reason for that is that I do not know how many people were expecting The Odyssey to not only make $1 billion but fly past $1 billion by about $500 million. I figured that The Odyssey was going to be a hit. It is Christopher Nolan who is the top movie star in Hollywood (despite not being an actor) and it is his follow-up to Oppenheimer, a movie that he won a bunch of Oscars for. He is at the top of the world right now and naturally a lot of people want to see what he is going to do next. 


What I love about The Odyssey making $1.5-$1.6 billion, is that it is proving all the haters wrong. For whatever reason there was this whole narrative surrounding The Odyssey with people calling it “woke crap” and predicting and hoping the movie would fail. Idiots on the internet talking about The Odyssey the same way Snow White was talked about last year. Comparing any of Christopher Nolan’s movies to corporate slop like Snow White is complete nonsense and a disgrace to Nolan, who is the opposite of corporate slop. At the same time, since that narrative got so big and there was all of this controversy surrounding the film, I think that urged people to go see the film and see if the controversy that people were talking about was real or if it was something that the internet was freaking out about (as they normally do). The Odyssey is one of my favorite movies of the year and I love seeing the film destroy it at the box office even with direct competition from Spider-Man: Brand New Day.



Comments