The MCU’s X-Men Cast Revealed!

The MCU’s X-Men Cast Revealed!

This weekend is D23 when Disney is announcing and discussing all their upcoming films. Yesterday, they announced the cast for the upcoming X-Men film, directed by Jake Schreier the director of Thunderbolts*. As a Marvel fan, of course I needed/wanted to talk about it. Here we go!


THE CAST: There is a lot of casting for this movie that I do not have too much to say. The big thing I will say here is I like that most of these names are unknown or people that I am not super familiar with. I like it when people are cast in big franchises and I do not know who they are. The reason for that is because I do not want to be watching a big franchise film and thinking to myself “why is ___ playing ___ when they’ve already played ___.” Because I am not super familiar with a few of these actors, I do not really have an opinion on them. But Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios have a great track record with casting, so I trust them if they like these actors. We will just go down the list of actors that were announced


Sadie Sink as Jean Grey: These are casting that we have already known about, and we even knew about this going into the D23 presentation. It is not really a spoiler at this point, it has been talked about since Spider-Man: Brand New Day’s release, but Sadie Sink is playing Jean Grey. To nobody’s surprise, it was confirmed that she will be returning in the X-Men. Based on reports, it sounds like she will be the lead of the movie. That makes sense to me, because of where they left her character and what they did with her in this movie. The fact she is the lead of the movie makes enough sense, and I am down for that. Because of that, it makes me wonder how big of the events of Brand New Day will play in the future of the X-Men, and it makes me wonder if Tom Holland will appear in this movie at all. 


Kit Connor as Cyclops: This is one of the castings that falls into the “I don’t have any opinions.” The reason for that is because I have not really seen him in anything. He did some voice work in The Wild Robot, which I love but it is not a good indicator as to whether he will be a good Cyclops or not. But he does have a large range of projects on his resume so far. He looks the part and he has not been picked up by a major franchise yet. Like I said, Kevin Feige has a great eye for casting so until I am proven wrong, I am excited about this casting. 


Christopher Abbott as Professor X: Unlike Kit Connor, I do have some thoughts on this casting. This is one that has been heavily rumored over the past couple of weeks, so the fact this turned out to be true is not too surprising. I have seen Abbott in a few movies over the years, most notably Poor Things, Kraven the Hunter, and Wolf Man. He is good in those movies, even when they are not the best, he is still solid in them. But I do not immediately see this casting. Professor X should be this mentor figure, like this father figure and in what I have seen from him, I do not see him as that. He has done a movie or tv show that will make me look at him and go “oh he’ll be a perfect Professor X.” With what I have seen him in, I do not see him as Professor X. The other thing, that is less important but he’s not British, he’s American and Americans do not have the best reputation of doing British accents. He can pull it off, who knows. 


Inde Navarette as Rogue: The big one that a lot of people are talking about, which is Inde Navaratte the breakout star of the summer and the year, the star of Obsession has joined the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This is an interesting casting because she did an interview with, I believe Variety a few weeks ago confirming that she has talked with Jake Schreier, the director of this movie. We have had on our radars that she will be joining the film’s cast, but also in that same interview she mentioned that she would love to play Mystique. So, most of us going into the ceremony expected the X-Men cast to be announced, but we were surprised that she is playing Rogue. I do not know if that was purposefully meant as a misdirect to surprise people with this casting. If that is the case, then that is a brilliant move on her end or to whoever’s idea that was. Simply put, I am not remotely surprised that she is joining a big franchise after Obsession. You know, I am not a huge fan of Obsession, but she was good in the movie and was getting scripts thrown at her and she was picking what she wanted to do, and she picked the X-Men. I have seen some people have a little bit of pushback towards Navarette as Rogue. Like Abbott, I do not at once see her as Rogue. I do not mind that she is playing an X-Men, but I do not see her as Rogue. Some of that is because her character in Obsession is so wild and terrifying, and her playing the southern character that is Rogue. Once again, I am sure she can kill it as Rogue, and this will be the test to see if she is more than just Freaky Nikki from Obsession


Maya Boyd as Storm: Once again, I do not have any thoughts on Maya Boyd as Storm, because I have not seen her in anything. I looked at her IMDB page, but this is her first ever acting gig. Since I have never seen her in anything, I cannot share my thoughts on her. 


Samara Weaving as Emma Frost: This is another one that we already knew about into the ceremony as it was reported about a couple of weeks ago. To be honest, I dig this casting. I like Samara Weaving as an actor; she was solid in the Ready or Not films. She has been around for several years now but has not been picked up by a major franchise. Emma Frost should be played a beautiful actor, and Samara Weaving is attractive, so I like this casting. My only knowledge of Emma Frost is the January Jones version in X-Men: First Class. But besides that, I do not really have a vast knowledge of who Emma Frost is. 

Adam Driver as Mr. Sinister: Speaking of characters I do not have a vast knowledge of, Mr. Sinister is a character that I do not know anything about. I have seen X-Men the Animated Series and think it was on that show, but I am not entirely sure. I am a big fan of Adam Driver, and he was already in Star Wars, so it is fun he is joining the Marvel universe. It is fun because Kevin Feige has said that over the years that he has talked with Adam Driver about joining the Marvel universe. Even when promoting Spider-Man: Brand New Day, he said it is a tradition for him to talk with Kevin Feige and he will turn down a role. But now it seems like they have found a character, and he is playing the main villain in this movie with Mr. Sinister, I dig this casting. 


Comments