The Santa Clause 2 Review

The Santa Clause 2 Review

We’re nearing the ending of the second season of The Santa Clauses. That means we’re week #2 of my review series of the Santa Clause movies. Today we’re talking about The Santa Clause 2. Let’s get started! 


The Good:


Once again, Tim Allen is just great in this movie and he hasn’t really skipped a beat. Now it’s not as iconic or memorable of a performance as in the original film. But he’s still fun, he’s still charming, he's all of the things you want him to be. Tim Allen I think is just naturally a very funny guy and he brings his sense of humor to this movie that elevates the material. Of course, there’s several other actors out there that are just as funny. But something about his sense of humor I think fits Santa Clause and this franchise really nicely. And here it’s a different type of humor then what we got in the first film. The first film Scott Calvin has this mean streak sense of humor, his dynamic with Judge Reinhold is very funny in that. Here he’s still very funny, but he’s funny in a more charming way. With this movie revolving around him finding a Mrs. Clause, he has to be nicer so the mean streak gets lost. Which in some ways, I think hurts the film. But it also means it’s not copying the jokes that worked from the first film. The humor and types of jokes are different here. 


Along with that, I appreciated that this is a sequel that isn’t copying the format and template of the first film. So many sequels can just copy the magic and charm of what made the first film work. I don’t think this movie does that, it finds something different to do with the material that feels like a next step for a sequel. Part of the hook of the original film was exploring the idea of what if your father, your co-worker, your ex-husband becomes Santa Clause. That’s a very fun idea for a Christmas movie, so this movie switches that up. And it takes Santa back to the real world, so it reverses the format and template. And even adding in the romance, it plays like a romantic comedy in the film. It follows the structure of a romantic comedy. So it’s a Christmas romantic comedy, once again that’s not what they did in the first film. So I really do appreciate that they did something very different with the sequel. 


Speaking of romantic comedy, I thought the chemistry between Tim Allen and Elizabeth Mitchell was pretty good. It’s not fantastic, I’m not saying they make for one of the best couples in cinematic history. But for the goofy tone this franchise is known, and how cringy their romance is. I think it works and fits nicely, you can very easily see how each of them is attracted to the other person. I thought the ticking clock aspect of it worked well. Where it might be a bit over the top with what the ticking clock is saying, but it does provide urgency through-out it. But the couple itself is fun and charming. The third movie or the tv show, this aspect hasn’t been much of a focus. I think this is when they are a couple. 


Finally, this movie isn’t anywhere close to reaching the heights of the original film. It’s nowhere near being a classic in my mind, it still has the charm of the franchise. Part of the charm and appeal of the first film is present, it’s not as good. But Tim Allen is still fun, the elves are quirky, and there’s plenty of humor in here. Of the sequels, I think this is the one that best captures the spirit and magic of the original film the best. 


The Bad:


The big thing here is I feel like they struggled a bit to come up with a great idea for a sequel. Now I praised how they made this movie feel like a romantic comedy and a Christmas movie all in one. I stand by that, I think it changes up the formula just enough to make it stand out. But some of the hook and appeal of the first film is taking this concept for a normal mean spirited guy becoming Santa Clause. And exploring how that would affect his work, his relationship with his son, and what his ex-wife would think of it. That’s a very fun idea for a family Christmas movie, and I don’t know what the logical step is for a sequel. So it’s fun that they reversed the formula and this time put Santa in the real world. But it’s not as interesting, it’s not as compelling as the central concept for the original film. That’s really the film’s biggest flaw, is that in some ways it feels a bit pointless. While I still enjoy the movie, I still have fun with it. I just don’t know if it reaches the heights of the original film. 


Also, I felt the Evil Toy Santa plot felt unnecessary. It felt like they created that plot line just to give Bernard and the elves something to do. And I feel like if the movie took that out and focused more on the romance, I think it would have worked better. They introduce this ticking clock that if Santa does find Mrs. Claus by Christmas Eve, he won’t be Santa anymore. That’s a nice ticking clock, Scott, the elves, and the audience know that. But if they started it where the elves learn about that after Scott leaves. You have this scenario, where the elves are trying to communicate with Scott about that. Maybe you have Scott taking his time, but in reality he doesn’t have as much time as he thinks he does. Creating an evil toy version of Santa is an interesting idea, I don’t know if it fits in this movie. The original film didn't need a villain and I don’t feel like this movie needed one either. 


Finally, I feel like demoting a lot of the side characters from the first film hurt this one. So much of the wit and humor came from Tim Allen and Judge Reinhold’s dynamic in the film. And in this movie, when they’re on good terms. Neil, ex-wife, and Charlie are put on the back burner. I think some of the magic gets lots in the mix. This isn’t a big issue with the film, but it is something that does hold it back. 


Final Thoughts: This is a fun one in the movie trilogy for me, because this is only the second time I’ve watched it. I’ve seen the first film many times over the years, I’ve seen the third one 4-5 times. But I never actually watched this movie until last year when season 1 came out. And when I ranked the franchise last year, I was much more negative on it. Now, I’m more positive about it. It’s not a classic like the original film is for me, but it’s a good enough follow up to that film. It has its flaws, but it’s a harmless sequel that I had fun with. 


The Score: 8.1/10 (B-)

Comments