Top 10 Most Overrated Movies of All Time

Top 10 Most Overrated Movies of All Time

There are so many movies that I love and there are so many movies that I love and so does the general public. But of course, there’s a few movies that I don’t love the way other people do. So today I’m sharing my picks for the 10 most overrated movies of all time. This is going to get heated…let’s get started!


NOTE: When I say OVERRATED I do NOT mean they’re bad movies. Most of these movies I would go positive on (a few I would go negative on), but I really enjoy most of these movies. So that’s my perspective, my mindset going into this list. Let’s get started! 


10. Black Panther: Now I obviously LOVE the MCU, it’s my favorite film franchise of all time. And the comic book movie genre is my favorite genre of all time (actually there’s another one to appear on this list). And when the initial Rotten Tomatoes scores came in for this film, it was at a 100%, which no MCU has done that prior or since this movie came out. Later in the year it received a Best Picture nomination, plus 6 other nominations with winning Oscars for Best Original Song, Best Costume, and Best Production Design. It also grossed $1.4 billion, which up until No Way Home was the highest grossing stand alone comic book movie of all time (meaning no team-up movies). And, I’ve always enjoyed the film. I’ve liked it more with passing and upon rewatch. But I’ve never loved it and never fully understood all of the praise for it. Now I would give it a very positive review, I think it’s a B+ movies. But would I have given it a Best Picture nomination? No. Should it have the highest Rotten Tomato score for an MCU movie? Again, I think this is a very good movie but I think all of the praise it got is a bit much and a bit undeserving. 


9. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith: At first glance you might look at this one and think it’s not overrated. Or it’s not more overrated than Black Panther is. Well not so fast, over the years the love and appreciation of the prequels has grown dramatically. Pretty much ever since The Rise of Skywalker came out, there’s been a strong resurgence of the prequels. You go on the internet and there’s a lot of people that will say this is the best Star Wars movie of all time. There’s a lot of people that will say it’s a top 10 best movie of all time. For me, I’m nowhere near that level or praise for the film. I do think it is the best of the prequels, I think it has the best elements of the trilogy in this film. Now granted, I haven’t seen this film in a number of years. I’m due for a rewatch of the Star Wars movies, so I could appreciate this movie a lot more when I rewatch it. But as of now, I think this is a B- level movie for me. I think it’s good enough, it’s towards the bottom of a Star Wars movie ranking. But it’s fully bottom tier, there’s worse Star Wars movies then this one. And honestly, I don’t get where people are coming from when they say it’s the best Star Wars movie of all time. I’m wondering what’s happening if there's bandwagoning going on. If people say it’s their favorite Star Wars movie so they don’t get disowned by their friends. I’m not sure, just my theory. But regardless, this isn’t anywhere CLOSE to being a top tier Star Wars movie. 


8. Spider-Man 2: This is the other comic book movie that I alluded to earlier. As a point of reference, I was born the year this movie came out. I was born in October 2004 so I didn’t see any of Tobey Maguire’s Spider-Man movies in the theater. So I didn’t grow up with it and don’t have the nostalgia for it the way I do other Spider-Man movies. I’ve actually only seen this movie two times, the first time was years and years back. The second time was leading up to No Way Home coming out. There’s a whole lot of people that will argue this is the best Spider-Man movie of all time, there’s a lot of people that will put this as a top 10 comic book movie of all time. Honestly, I don't think it’s a good movie. I gave it a B when I reviewed it, I stand by that. But this one had a lot of things that really bothered me and that I didn’t care for all that much. I think Doctor Octopus was a better villain in No Way Home then he was in this movie. He’s not bad, but I think what they do with him in No Way Home is much better. I don’t like MJ here, I think she’s very annoying for no real reason. So it’s a good movie, it’s watchable. But I don’t at all agree with people that say it’s one of the best of the genre. 


7. Inglourious Basterds: This is probably the one that’s going to upset my dad the most. Dad, I love…you’re the best. But…I'm not a super big fan of this movie. This was the third Quentin Tarantino movie I saw and as of now, it’s my least favorite of his. I think there’s some good performance in here, I think Brad Pitt is really good in here. He’s very charming and mischievous when he needs to be. Even lines he says or the way he looks very memorable. There’s some memorable scenes and sequences in here, especially the opening sequence or the scene with Michael Fassbender’s character. But I find this movie to be way too long and way too boring. The opening scene with Christopher Waltz’s characters is so drawn out, it takes up 25 minutes of the film. It feels like that could have been cut by 10-15 minutes, I was spacing out multiple times in just the first sequence of the film. And there are other sequences in the film that feel like they’re stretched out for WAY too long. Going into this movie, I kept on hearing how brilliant Christopher Waltz’s Hans Landa is. Waltz won an Oscar for this movie and it’s the one that made him famous. I watched the film and I thought to myself, any other great actor could have played this role. I honestly don’t get where the love and praise for Waltz is. He’s not bad, but it’s a performance that I wouldn’t have given an Oscar too. I wouldn’t praise it as one of the best of all time. 


6. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: I’m a new fan to this franchise, I watched the original trilogy of movies for the first time earlier this year prior to Dial of Destiny coming out. And the original set of films are EASILY the best of the franchise. And I think it’s a great movie, if this movie is #3 in my Indiana Jones franchise ranking, there’s a lot of competition because this movie is great. But it’s the weakest of those movies, it’s the safest one for me. What I appreciate about Temple of Doom (and why I think it’s better) is because it’s so ambitious. It doesn’t at all feel like it’s retreading what Raiders of the Lost Ark did. Even the weaker ones with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Dial of Destiny, they feel like something very different. They go wild and bonkers with it, not all of it works but they went for it. Here, it feels the most safe to me. That’s not a bad thing, that doesn’t make it a bad movie. I will give it a very strong B+ score, so it’s very good. But it’s the weakest of the original three films for me. The part that puts it on this list for me is that there’s some people that prefer this over Raiders of the Lost Ark. I don’t get where people are coming from with that. Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade feel very similar in the tone and vibe, but I think the original is the best of the bunch. 


5. Ghostbusters (1984): Who you gonna call? Bill Murray? Dan Aykroyd? Harold Ramis? Ernie Hudson? Whoever, this is a classic 80s comedy that was a big deal when it came out. It has one of the most iconic theme songs of all time. Even if you love Ghostbusters or hate it. Whether you’ve seen it or you haven't, everybody knows the theme song for this movie. It’s one of my favorite movie theme songs of all time. BUT is the movie itself one of my favorite movies of all time? No, it’s not. I’ve seen this movie a couple of times. The most recent time was prior to Ghostbusters Afterlife  coming out. And unpopular opinion, I prefer Afterlife over this movie. I think it’s a very good movie, the cast is great, Bill Murray being the standout for me. I didn’t find it as memorable as I felt it should have been. There’s iconic shots in here like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man or Slimer are probably the two most iconic ghosts of the franchise. For my memory, I don’t remember laughing all that much. Last month I put out a post with my favorite movies of the 1980s. I didn’t even once consider putting this movie on that list. Is it good? Yes, but that’s all it is to me. It’s a good movie, it’s a solid B for me. It’s WAY better than the sequel or the 2016 remake. But it’s not a movie that I love and I don’t think it’s one of the best movies ever made. 


4. The Terminator: I’m sort of disappointed this movie is on this list. One of the things I’m trying to do a better job of is watching movies I haven’t seen before. In late September I watched True Lies and thought it was great and an absolute blast. Then I decided to watch The Terminator for another classic Arnold movie I hadn’t seen before. And I don’t know just a very dated movie with a very simple and not a very interesting plot for me. Of the Arnold movies I’ve seen (besides Batman and Robin) this is probably my least favorite. I think True Lies and Predator are better movies. I think Linda Hamilton and Michael Behn are sold here, they’re solid lead characters for this movie and they have a nice chemistry in here. I also thought they sort of wasted Arnold in here. I know that he’s by no means a world class actor, that's ok. He doesn’t have to be. But he barely says anything besides this iconic line “I’ll be back”. So you just have Arnold walking around with no personality trying to kill Sarah Connor. Most people think that Terminator 2: Judgement Day is the better movie, they’re probably right. One of these days I want to rank this franchise, so I’ll watch them and see what happens. Maybe if I rewatch it, it can be taken off this list. 


3. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: Sigh…please don’t kill me. I know. I know, this is a hot take to include a LORD OF THE RINGS movie on this list. It’s maybe the most beloved movie trilogy of all time, I think it’s a great trilogy. But I don’t think it’s a top tier trilogy for me personally. This is a very interesting movie to exist because it holds the record for most Oscar wins. This movie won 14 Oscars, it won every single category it was nominated for. I watched all of this trilogy for the first time when Rings of Power came out last September. I actually reviewed all of these movies for the purpose of watching and reviewing Rings of Power…watched the first two episodes, didn’t like it or so never finished it. Regardless, I’ve only seen this movie one time. And I think it’s a grand and truly epic movie, it’s so big in scale. It comes to a very satisfying conclusion, all of the characters arc and pay off in a satisfying manner in this movie. I think this is a hot take, this is the weakest of The Lord of the Rings trilogy for me. In fact, I think this is a trilogy that gets weaker with each movie. I think the 3 ½ run time is a bit much, it has like 5 or 6 different endings that would have been a perfect ending to this trilogy. I think winning 14 Oscars is a bit much, I can get for the technical categories but Best Picture and Best Director, I don’t know about that. 


2. A Christmas Story: It feels sort of weird talking about a Christmas movie so close to Halloween, but hey who cares (I don’t). I know this is a Christmas classic, to some people it’s a must watch Christmas movie every single December. For me, I’ve seen the move multiple times over the years. I’ve actually seen a stage production of this movie, but I’ve never loved or even liked this movie. Are the sequences iconic? Yes. Are there certain lines that are injected into everybody’s head? Yes. Does that make for a good movie in my mind, no it does not. Part of the fun of watching Christmas movies is feeling the Christmas magic and joy. With this movie, I don’t feel either magic or joy with this movie. In fact, it makes me hate Christmas and it sucks all of the fun and spirit of the holiday right out like a vacuum cleaner. This movie and the next one I’m going to talk about feel like movies that are such classics and so iconic in pop culture. So everybody says this is a Christmas classic because everybody else thinks it’s a timeless classic. If this movie wasn’t as iconic as it is, I’m wondering how many people will love the movie the way they do. The most interesting thing about the movie is how Ralphie played by Peter Billingsly is a producer on the original Iron Man film, even has a cameo in that movie and Far From Home. 


1. The Princess Bride: Friends and family, if you don't already dislike me because of this post…I get it, I really do. I hope this particular movie or list doesn’t ruin anything between us. Like I said, this feels like a movie that is so iconic and legendary filled top to bottom with iconic lines, characters, and sequences that it feels like everybody has to love it. Guess what? Not everybody loves this movie INCLUDING THE PERSON THAT’S WRITING THIS, I’ve tried watching this film multiple times over the years and I’ve never connected with it. Everything is just so cheesy down from the characters, dialogue, even some of the sequences are very weird. I know a lot of people have fun with the Billy Crystal scene, I’ve never really found it funny. I think it’s a very weird scene that’s just cringy. That’s a lot of the movie for me, so cringy and one that I truly don’t understand the hype for it. Like some of the other movies I can understand why some people might view them as classics and ranking very high on a top 10 list. For me, I see a movie that isn’t very good with characters that I don’t care about. Some of the characters are played by solid actors, but everybody I think is better and funnier in something else. So easily, this is my pick for the MOST OVERRATED movie of all time, I’m sorry but it is. Please don’t kill, I’m only 19…I have a long life to live. 


Comments