10 Iconic Horror Movies I Haven’t Seen




10 Iconic Horror Movies I Haven’t Seen 

Horror is one of the most iconic movie genres of all time. Some of the most iconic and classic films of all time are horror movies. While I’m a big movie fan, horror is a newer genre for me. So today I’m going to be sharing 10 iconic horror movies I haven't seen. 


  • Psycho: This is a placeholder for a lot of Alfred Hitchcock films. He’s not a filmmaker I have lots of experience with. I’ve seen Vertigo but that’s about it. I know I’m a movie fan so I should see more Alfred Hitchcock films, it just hasn’t happened yet. One of his most iconic films would be Psycho that features the most iconic shower scene of all time. There’s so much about this movie that has made its way into pop culture and become so iconic. I know there’s a sequel and remake to this film. One of these days I’ll need to watch and rank all of these movies. If you didn’t know this, the female lead of the film is played by Janet Leigh. Janet Leigh is Jamie Lee Curtis’ mother. So it’s kind of fun that a mother and daughter have played two horror movie icons. 


  • Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Of all of these movies, this is the one that I sort of know the least amount about. I know it takes place in Texas, there’s a chainsaw involved, and a massacre happens because of it. I got all of this information just by the title of the film. But I do know it has multiple movies, I believe like 9 movies so it’s one that will take a little while to watch all of them. One of my favorite YouTubers lives near where a lot of the shooting locations for the films were. I believe last year they did a legacy sequel that dropped on Netflix, if that movie gets a sequel I’ll have to make sure to watch and rank these movies. Hopefully they drop on a streaming service so I’ll be able to watch them! 


  • The Exorcist: A 50 year old movie that is still getting movies to this day, just earlier this month The Exorcist: Believer came out and was not well liked. But it brought back Linda Blair’s Chris MacNeil to help defeat the evil lurking in these girls (or whatever), how would I know? I haven’t seen it. But the original film is widely regarded as one of the best horror movies ever made. It was a truly groundbreaking film when it came out. Because they did stuff the visuals and source material that hadn’t been done before. A lot of people would put the label “scariest movie ever” onto the film. I haven’t seen the film, so I can’t comment on this. But it makes me more interested to check it out to see where I’d rank on my scareometer. I wanted to try and watch and then rank all of the films when The Exorcist: Believer came out but just wasn’t able to. Blumhouse and David Gordon Green did announce that The Exorcist: Believer will start a trilogy of movies. Given how poorly the reviews have been, we’ll see if that happens. On the flip side, the movie is very profitable…but Blumhouse also bought the rights to The Exorcist for $400 million! So most likely, when the next film comes out I’ll watch and rank all of them! 


  • The Omen: Another horror movie I know is a true classic, but there’s nothing about this movie that I know a lot about. It’s another movie that’s directed by a top tier director in Richard Donner. Who was a big deal through-out the late 70s, through-out the 80s and 90s. This movie came out in 1976 was a hit film that people loved. Two years later he directed Superman the Movie (1978). The Omen is probably what led Donner to getting able to direct Superman. That movie launched the comic book movie genre. So it’ll be interesting if Richard Donner didn’t create a banger with this movie, would he still have gotten Superman? If not, what would the genre be like today? It stars the late great Gregory Peck as the lead of the film. He’s of course a true Hollywood legend that’s starred in some all time classics. For those reasons, I’m curious about checking it out. And seeing if it actually deserves to be called a horror classic. 


  • Carrie (1976): Yet again another film that I don’t know that much about. I know it’s a horror classic with some top tier actors from a top tier director But the actual plot, what makes it a horror classic, I'm not sure of those details. It is based on a Stephen King book, obviously he’s the most celebrated horror author of all time. So it’s probably very scary in that regard, he’s a legend working with these types of stories. The director of the film is Brian De Palma who’s directed a lot of popular films over the years, such as Mission Impossible (1996), The Untouchables, and Scarface. The cast from top to bottom has a lot of famous people in it. There’s a young John Travolta in here this is prior to him doing Saturday Night Fever and Grease. So this was pre-fandom John Travola and it’s one of his more talked about roles despite being a horror classic. Apparently this movie inspired Halloween Ends, I guess both of them have very similar plots. But Carrie (1976) is obviously the more praised film. While I haven’t seen Carrie (1976), I’d imagine this movie is much better. 


  • Poltergeist: I know a little bit more about this movie then some of the previous movies I’ve talked about. But still, my knowledge of what this film is about is not very big. This is another movie I’ve heard being called as the scariest movie ever or ONE OF the scariest movies ever made. The shot of the girl sitting in front of the tv is a very iconic shot in the horror genre. The director of the film is Tobe Hooper who also directed several of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre films. So it’s from a director that has a LOT of experience with directing horror films. I didn’t realize this, but the script is written by Steven Spielberg. Which is kind of surprising to me because he hasn’t worked on very many horror movies. He hasn’t directed any, but he wrote this one. Mr. Incredible himself is the dad in this movie. Well not the actual Mr. Incredible from The Incredibles but the actor who voiced Mr. Incredible, Craig T. Nelson plays the dad in this movie. 


  • Child’s Play (1988): Now I’ve seen a lot of the iconic slasher franchises like Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Friday the 13th, or at least large portions of those franchises. The other big slasher franchise I haven’t seen is Child’s Play. Now I have the original movie saved on HBO Max to watch, I plan on watching that in October. So soon, I’d be able to cross it off this list. Of the classic horror icons, Chucky is certainly up there. I know there’s several sequels, I believe Bride of Chucky is the fan favorite of the franchise. They did a remake back in 2019 with Mark Hamill as the voice of Chucky. There’s a TV show out now that I believe is on its third season. So there’s a lot of Chucky and Child’s Play out there. I’m sure at some point I’ll watch the entire franchise, but as of now my plan is to watch that original film. And see where I can find the sequels on streaming services. 


  • Saw: A franchise that is nearly 20 years and still putting out movies. Late September Saw X came out, it’s the 10th movie in the main franchise. But the 11th movie overall and it’s widely regarded as the best of the bunch. It's kind of wild that a tenth movie in a horror franchise is the best of the bunch. Again, I was debating on whether or not to try and go watch Saw X in the theater and watch the original film, never happened. Saw X has been well received and is making a lot of money, so maybe with that we’ll get another film. If that’s the case, probably watch and rank all of the movies. There’s a bit of a reason why I haven’t watched any of these movies. When it comes to movies, I’m not scared or sickened by very many movies. I can watch John Wick and see heads be blown off and be fine. The scenes that get me are the surgery scenes in doctor shows. That’s the kind of stuff that I can’t handle, so I’m curious as to what I’ll do with the Saw films. I could watch them and it could either be a great experience or an awful experience, we’ll just have to wait and see. 


  • The Conjuring: In a lot of ways, The Conjuring franchise has become like the MCU of modern horror movies. Where there’s a lot of movies set in this world and have characters from other movies in a specific movie. I’ve heard a lot of good things about some of the movies and a lot of not so good things about other films in the franchise. I believe most of these movies are available on HBO Max, so I have a good reason to watch. The main line Conjuring films have actors I enjoy with Patrick Wilson and Vera Ferminga. James Wan seems to be one of the top horror directors of the last 20 years, he’s certainly one of the most celebrated. And I want to see what he brings to his horror movies. The only James Wan movies I’ve seen are Furious 7 and Aquaman (2018). I really need to watch these movies, I’m sure we’ll get another movie in this franchise in the next few years. 


  • IT (2017): This seems to be one of the most celebrated horror films of the last 10 years. Given it’s on this list, I haven’t seen this movie. But I remember when it came out and it was making a lot of money. From what I remember, it was exceeding expectations at the box office. It grossed over $700 million, I believe it’s the highest grossing horror movie of all time. It’s one of the films that made Bill Skarsgard more of a movie star that’s been appearing in a lot of different things over the years. It’s been on my mind to check it for a while, I just wanna see how Pennywise the Clown is as a character. Plus, I believe there’s a prequel tv show coming out in 2024. That I believe is a prequel to the Bill Skarsgard lead IT films, that’ll give me a good excuse to sit down and watch this movie. And probably also watch the 2019 sequel and the 1990 film with Tim Curry as Pennywise. 


Comments