Top 10 Most Anticipated Summer 2023 Movies


Top 10 Most Anticipated Summer 2023 Movies

The summer 2023 is right around the corner and there’s a whole bunch of movies coming out in theaters from May 1st-August 31st. But which ones am I the most excited for? Let’s get started!


10. Barbie (July 21st, 2023): Now to be clear, this movie is on here for one reason…curiosity. This movie sounds so weird and the trailers have me scratching my head, that I don’t know what this is going to be. I really don’t know whether this movie is going to be good, bad, or somewhere in the middle. When they make a Barbie movie you initially think it’s a kids movie. Well we got a trailer earlier this month that implied this one isn’t a kids movie. It’s going to be a more adult comedy that parents might not want to tell their 10 year old children to go see. Beyond that, having Gretta Gerwig write and direct the movie is interesting because she’s written and directed TWO movies prior to this, Lady Bird and Little Women. Both of those movies have been nominated for Best Picture and the scripts she wrote got a nomination as well. So they’re getting this Oscar caliber filmmaker for this movie. Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling seem like they will be a lot of fun in this movie. Inherently, a Barbie movie isn’t one that’s going to make super excited. It’s not a top tier excitement, but the trailers, cast, and director have me very very very curious to check it out this summer. 


9. The Little Mermaid (May 26th, 2023): The next theatrically released Disney live action remake. And this time they are taking a trip under the sea with these poor unfortunate souls. I know a LOT of people are kind of tired of these Disney live action remakes they are doing. I think some of them are pretty decent, notability Aladdin and The Jungle Book. And I think that this one could be pretty solid, I dug the trailer we got last month. Of course the songs and characters are truly iconic when it comes to Disney. The cast they got is really quite good with Daveed Diggs, Javier Bardem, and Melissa McCarthy filling out the cast for the movie. And the director is Rob Marshall who previously directed Mary Poppins Returns, a movie I really dug. I thought that was a really good follow-up to the original, and the music/dance numbers worked really well in that movie. Lin Manuel-Miranda is adding some songs to the movie, of course he’s great at doing that. So this is one that could be very good (or very bad), but as of now I think it can be a pretty good movie. 


8. Blue Beetle (August 18th, 2023): The fourth comic book movie that this summer movie season will be giving us. And this is one that I’m actually a lot more excited for than I thought I would be. We did get a trailer earlier this month, and I dug it. The movie looks fun, maybe a bit generic and familiar. But it looks like it will be a fun adventure with likable characters. With the tech that comes with the Blue Beetle suit, you can do some very very cool action sequences. Another reason why I’m excited for this movie, I have a lot of nostalgia for the Blue Beetle character. He was a recurring character on Batman: The Brave and the Bold, one of my favorite childhood tv shows. So I think it’s very fun that we are getting a Blue Beetle movie, finally. Another reason to be excited for it, James Gunn has said that this movie will tie into his DC universe. So that’s really cool to hear, that’s cool that we are getting confirmation that some of these movies and characters will overlap. I’m curious as to exactly how Blue Beetle will tie into James Gunn’s universe, what will come of that. Since Blue Beetle is also set in the DCEU universe, will there be a multiversal thing happening? I’m not quite sure, but I’m excited to see the movie. 


7. Fast X (May 19th, 2023): Now if you remember my most anticipated movies of 2023 then you know this movie was above the next two movies on this list. And my excitement for this movie hasn’t really gone down, my excitement for the others has gone up. Now I know a lot of people are feeling very burned out by this franchise, I’m still pumped for it. I’m still super duper excited for this movie. I love that these movies provide the escapist fun that I want. These movies aren’t getting a bunch of Oscar nominations, this isn’t “fine cinema”. But they are fun cinema if you ask me, they provide 2 hours of ridiculous scenarios after another. And especially since this is part one of 2 of the supposed end to the saga, I’m curious as to how this movie will start to close out this franchise. How is Fast and Furious 11 going to end? I'm so curious about that. And then the movie has a lot of fun new additions joining in on the fun. Our villain is Jason Momoa, and he seems to fit this franchise so well. His skill set, the fun that he brings fits this franchise so well. Brie Larson is in here, and I’m curious as to what she brings to this movie. And the trailer we got back in February delivered everything that I want from this franchise. 


6. Spider-Man: Across the Spider Verse (June 2nd, 2023): If you’ve been following my blog, you know that I’m not the biggest fan of the first film. I still think it’s a really good movie, but I don’t put it in the same category that other people put it in. But with what they’ve shown us from this movie I’m very very excited to see what they are going to do with this movie. It seems like with this movie they are going full blown Spider-Man multiverse crazy. Every shot of the trailer has like 3-5 easter eggs in it. With what they are teasing we could possibly be seeing Tom Holland, Tobey Maguire, and Andrew Garfield in some capacity. If that’s the case we could be in for something very special here. And then adding in Oscar Isaac as Spider-Man 2099 seems like a great addition, he looks like he could be one of the stand-out characters of 2023. Plus these movies all have great animation styles and I’m excited to see that animation done with an even crazier Spider-Man multiverse story. So when you put it all together you get a movie that could be a top tier comic book and animated movie of the year. 


5. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023): This is one where my excitement for it has built over time. I had only seen the previous four movies for the first time just a couple months back. And after watching the movies and the trailer keep on playing in the movie theater, my excitement is much higher now. I think ¾ of the franchise is pretty great, the first three movies are great adventure movies. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has its issues, it’s not a total trainwreck. But it is a movie that could and should have been a whole lot better. And just seeing Harrison Ford as the iconic character one more time, I’m down for. I feel like this movie will be a satisfying end to the Indiana Jones character. There’s also a good chance this movie could be John Williams’ final score. And Williams’ scores in all of the movies are pretty great and iconic. Also it was announced just a few weeks ago that the world premiere is going to be the Cannes film festival. This festival only plays movies that are hand picked and they think are really really good. The fact this movie is going to be playing there, having its premiere there is a very good sign. So I can’t wait to go see this movie in late June, I think it could be great. 


4. Oppenheimer (July 21st, 2023): The next historical epic from Christopher Nolan featuring a star studded cast. Christopher Nolan is one of the best and most interesting directors out there so whenever he puts out a new movie, you pay attention. And with this being about a true historical movie about J. Robert Oppenheimer, the man that created the atomic bomb and a visionary like Nolan, this movie is most likely going to be something really, really special. The trailers we have so far haven't revealed much about the plot but it does look to be a very different film from Nolan but it also looks really really cool. The movie also has probably the best cast of the entire year where it’s just filled with a bunch of A-list actors, a bunch of world class talent. Cillian Murphy seems to be a staple in Christohper Nolan movies, and from the glimpses we’ve seen it looks like he’s going to be giving one of the best performances of the year. I love that Emily Blunt, Matt Damon, and Robert Downey Jr are main cast members in this movie. I love all three of them. But side roles in the movie are Gary Oldman and Kenneth Branagh, that’s when you have a great cast. The 3 hour run time doesn’t excite me, it also doesn’t dwindle my excitement either. And I think for this movie it does make sense for it to be this long. 


3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (May 5th, 2023): The next MCU movie that is the responsible for kicking off the 2023 summer movie season. It seems like most movie fans have this has one of their most anticipated movies of the year, and I’m there with you. I love these characters, I love the original film so much. The second one is a frustratingly flawed sequel, but not a bad movie by any means. And I’ve dug the trailers they’ve put out for this movie it seems like this movie is very much a different type of story and movie from the previous two movies. It seems like this is going to be one of the more emotional MCU movies, the most emotional movie of this trilogy. We know somebody is going to die, I’m kind of scared to learn who it’s going to be. And I when it comes to superhero movies and tv shows, James Gunn has a fantastic track record. Guardians of the Galaxy a fantastic movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 a flawed but entertaining movie. The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker the two best DCEU projects in my mind. The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special, a very fun and very good MCU special. I have a lot of faith in James Gunn, I think he pulled something very very special off with this movie. I’m so excited to see it, I think this could really be a top tier MCU movie. 


2. The Flash (June 16th, 2023): Going into this year this movie would have been a few spots down, but we got that back in February. And I love that trailer, it’s a pretty fantastic trailer that they cut together. In a lot of ways it shows you a lot of the movie, but in another sense it doesn’t. I still couldn’t really tell you the order of the movie, I don’t know when things will happen. But it’s not just the trailer that has me excited. All of the stuff that they’ve said about this movie has me very very excited. First up, after 31 years we are getting the return of Michael Keaton as Batman. Not Thomas Wayne, actual Bruce Wayne, Batman in this movie. I was born 12 years after Batman Returns came out, so I didn’t grow up with him as Batman. But I watched his Batman movies all of the time as a kid, I love him as Batman. To this day he’s still one of the best Batman that we’ve gotten. And getting to see him come back, down the cape and cowl once again is awesome. Especially in the trailer when they start playing the Danny Elfman score, I had a big smile on my face. Second, it’s just great that we are getting a Flash movie. The Flash is one of the DC’s best superheroes, I love that character. And I think Ezra Miller is the right man for the job, I like his portrayal of The Flash. But just getting a Flashpoint story is just cool, Flashpoint is a fantastic comic book story line. And with this movie exploring the DC multiverse, this is a lot of potential for this movie to get weird and wacky with its cameos. I’m super duper excited for this movie in mid-June. 


1. Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1 (July 14th, 2023): This Mission Impossible franchise is kind of crazy, because it’s approaching it’s seventh movie and it’s as exciting as ever. Most movie franchises start to fall off after three to four movies. And 4-6 of this franchise is fantastic, it’s better then ever. And because of that fantastic streak of movies, I’m so excited pumped for this movie. Tom Cruise and Christohper McQuarrire have proven that they know the right formula for this franchise. They know how to craft great action, spy thriller blockbusters that entertain lots and lots of people. Plus Tom Cruise did a little small movie last year, that nobody really saw called Top Gun: Maverick that I thought was great. And I wish more people saw it and loved it just as much as me. Haha, that was a good joke, right? Right? Anyways moving on. Part of my excitement is still riding that Top Gun: Maverick hype train where you are reminded that Tom Cruise is a fantastic movie star. He might be a weird guy in real life, but he knows how to entertain an audience. And he devotes years of his life to making sure that is possible. And I have zero doubt he will do that again with this movie. This movie looks like it’s going to be something really really special, I’m so so so excited to check it out. I think this could really be a top tier 2023 movie.

Comments