Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Death Predictions


Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Death Predictions

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 finally hits theaters next month. With the trailers and information said by James Gunn, this promises to be one of the more emotional MCU movies. James Gunn has teased that a Guardian will die in this movie. So after watching both of the trailers and compelling my theories together, this is what I think is most and least likely to die in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.


NOTE: For this I’m only counting the Guardians of the Galaxy themselves. So new characters like Adam Warlock, will not be counted for this post. Because the ones that have been the posts I will include for this post. 


8. Groot: I’m putting down Groot as the one least likely to die, I think there’s a very very very strong chance that Groot makes it out alive. And that is for a very simple reason, Groot has kind of already died twice in the MCU. The original version of Groot sacrificed himself at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy and then Teenage Groot got snapped in Infinity War. So I don’t think “killing” Groot off a second time would make much sense. James Gunn is smart enough to know not to kill the same character three different times, so I don’t see this happening. 


7. Gamora: This is another one that I think is pretty safe to assume is going to make it out this movie alive. Similar to Groot, they already killed her off once. Gamora had a very tragic death in Infinity War; they sort of brought her back in Endgame. So bringing her back only to kill her off in this movie seems in poor taste. I think that cheapens the character a good bit, and I don’t think it’ll work. The emotions won’t be big enough if Gamora does die in this movie. The reason why I’m not putting her in last is because I feel that she might grow a strong connection to Star-Lord and the team. That she might choose to sacrifice herself to save the others, I doubt that’ll happen but it’s possible. 


6. Mantis: One of the most innocent MCU heroes out there, and one that I don’t think will be all that exciting if they do kill her off. She’s always kind of been this fun side character that gets some good laughs here and there. Some of her interactions with Drax can be quite funny at points. But I feel like if she does die, there’s not going to be that emotional weight. Another reason why I think she’s safe, in the trailers you see moments of her and Star-Lord crying over somebody at a table. I’m guessing whoever our big death is at that moment, they are on that table. So I’m guessing that Mantis is pretty safe for those reasons. Now why she’s not in the bottom 2 is because she hasn’t died yet. She sort of died in Infinity War but not really, so that’s why she’s not in the bottom 2. Both Gamora and Groot are kind of safe because they’ve died already, Mantis does not fall into that category. 


5. Kraglin: Yondu’s right hand man who is now a full member of the Guardians of the Galaxy. He now has Yondu’s fin and arrow to help in battle. And this is a character that I think is really right there in the middle for me. I don’t think he’s going to die, but he did get a big promotion in how important he is to the story. So if you need somebody to die that isn’t going to provide a lot of emotional weight, I think Kraglin is a good one to kill off for that reason. I don’t have a lot to say about him and where he ranks, he’s basically tied with Mantis. Both Kraglin and Mantis are characters that are just right there in the middle. The bottom 2 are characters that I think are completely safe, the next 2 are safe but cautiously safe. And then the top 4 I think have the most potential to die. So Kraglin I think is pretty safe, but I think we also have to be cautious about him.


4. Nebula: A character that has gone through quite the journey from her first appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy. And now as you move into this movie, she’s not a villain, not an anti-hero, but a full on hero helping The Guardians of the Galaxy. And because of that, because of the arc that Nebula has I’m guessing that she has a good chance to die. Especially with Gamora coming back, I could see Nebula sacrificing herself to make sure Gamora lives. Because of those reasons I think that Nebula has a good chance to die. I’m not putting her in that top 3, but she’s right outside of the top 3 for me. 


3. Star-Lord: The leader and star of this franchise played by Chris Pratt. And this one where I have all sorts of feelings as to whether Star-Lord will die or not. On the one hand, this is the end of a trilogy so it would be fitting for the lead character to die. And James Gunn and the cast have openly stated that this is the end of this set of Guardians. This is the end of the story, if they do another movie it won’t be with the same set of characters. On the other hand, I think this movie could end with Star-Lord and Gamora living happily ever after. And with them being reunited I have a hard time imagining them actually killing off Star-Lord. I feel like they will have their happy ending. 


2. Rocket Raccoon: Now I know this character seems to be the common pick for the most likely to die. But I have some reasons as to why I think he’s the second most likely to die. First up, I feel like the marketing has focused a lot on Rocket, we know this is a very Rocket centertic story. And I feel like they are pushing the needle too much towards Rocket that I feel like it’s not. Everybody is expecting Rocket to die, so that’s why I don't think he is. Second, they’ve teased a possible romance between Rocket and another raccoon. And I just don’t know how satisfying it would be if you have Rocket find romance and then die. Similar to what I said about Star-Lord with Gamora. Third, it’s pretty easy for Rocket to return and Bradley Cooper to continue playing him. Bradley Cooper just needs to go into a recording studio for a couple of hours and boom he’s done. Dave Bautista and Zoe Saldana need lots of make-up to make it happen. Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel have it very easy when it comes to playing their characters. 


1. Drax: A character that I feel like hasn’t been all that well used since the original Guardians of the Galaxy film. But I think he’s still a fun and good character that I feel like will be emotional if he does die in the movie. Now of all of the Guardians actors, Dave Bautista is the one that has been the most open about how this is his last film. He has openly said that he won’t return as Drax after this movie. So that leads me to believe that he has a very good chance at dying because of that. Another thing, Drax’s mission in the first movie was to get revenge on Ronan and Thanos for killing his family. Thanos is now dead and so is Ronan, so I could see Drax wanting to die so he could be with his family. Sure, he’ll be leaving his new family with The Guardians, but he’ll get to be with his wife and daughter. I don’t know that’s the reason why I think Drax is the one most likely to die. 



Comments