The Flash Season 9 Episode 1-6 Thoughts

The Flash Season 9 Episodes 1-6 Thoughts

The ninth season of The Flash is on a one week hiatus, episode 7 returns next week. So today seemed like the perfect time to share my thoughts on the first SIX episodes of The Flash season 9. Let’s get started!


General Thoughts: A quick summary of my thoughts on the season so far, it’s ok. It’s not great, but it’s also not bad either. It’s just kind of there as more of the same thing you expect from this show. I feel like the more recent seasons had something that hooked made you interested in watching. Season 8 started with a 5-episode crossover event. Season 7 was the ending resolution to season 6. This season tried to do something very cool with The Red Death, but sort of failed at it. And then the other stuff just isn’t all that interesting, it’s not stuff you really care about. So to put my thoughts into one word, this season has been ok so far. 


  • The Red Death: So this was the main storyline that was happening over episodes 1-5 of season 9, and this was not good. And for me, this is one of the most disappointing aspects of the show. And if you don’t know who Red Death in the comics, essentially it’s Bruce Wayne as an evil speedster. But since Bruce Wayne isn’t really a character in the Arrowverse, this version is Ryan Wilder, the second Batwoman. This storyline had so much potential to be pretty great, having an evil version of Batwoman as a speedster, that sounds awesome. The actual execution of the character is bad, there’s no other way around it. I think some of the problem lie with the writing and performance. The writing is really really bad and weak, it’s not as good as other writing on the show. On two different occasions they had Red Death quote iconic Batman quotes from the movies. In episode 3 when Red Death is unmasked she goes “I Am Vengeance”, and that moment didn’t work for a lot of people. Because it feels like they were trying to copy Robert Pattinson. And then in episode 4 she says “do you know get nuts?...let’s get nuts”, quoting Michael Keaton from Batman (1989). And that was the part more so than before where I was like “CW, what are you doing with this?”. Other part of that didn’t fully work for me, I don’t think the actress fits the role really at all. She’s not terrible when she’s the hero Batwoman, I actually kind of like her performance there. But here she has to be this evil villain that is supposed to be menacing, and she doesn’t give off that vibe whatsoever. Like there are several times in the first five episodes where she has to scream, and it comes off like bad acting. Like she doesn’t have the acting chops to pull off being evil or threatening whatsoever. And then she even recruits a bunch of new Flash villains, so we get a proper version of Captain Boomerang and several other just totally forgettable villains that you don’t care about whatsoever. I felt like this story arc had potential to be really good, but failed with some bad acting and writing. 


  • Joe West’s Departure: Other big things to happen in these episodes, Jesse L. Martin aka Joe West has left the show. And we knew this information since before the season aired, we knew this was happening. So it wasn’t a shocker whatsoever when he left. And I’ve liked the character of Joe West ever since season 1 episode 1. I think he’s a great father figure to Team Flash as a whole, I think Jesse L. Martin does a good job in the role. I don’t think his departure was handled all that well. And I think the reason why they explained why Joe was leaving was a very lazy attempt to evoke emotions from the audience. They basically said that he wanted to leave Central City, escape all of the danger and go live somewhere else with Cecile and his toddler. And I think there’s a reasonable point there, I can see why as both a father and a husband he’ll feel that way. I also feel like Cecille should have left too. Joe said “you should stay because Team Flash needs you”, that seems very corny. That seems like a very lame excuse to evoke emotions from your audience. The dialogue for this plot line really didn’t work for me. Joe leaves at the end of episode 5, episode 6 picks up with Cecille freaking out about Joe being gone. It felt very hollow to me and like it didn’t work for me. 


  • Caitlin/Killer Frost Hybrid: This was another aspect that really didn’t work for me. And it seems like after season 3, they don't really know what to do with the Caitlin/Killer Frost character. It felt like you have season 3, have Killer Frost be the villain. Season 4 you do a redemption arc for her, have her be this hero. And then have Danielle Panabaker leave after season 4. And then recur on the show through-out seasons 5-9. But they’ve done all of this stuff with her, where now she’s a hybrid of Caitlin and Killer Frost. She’s this carefree person, that is just super chill and laid back. And it feels like another excuse to keep Danielle Panabaker on the show. And I think even episode 2 where it focused on Team Flash deciding who should and die between Caitlin and Killer Frost. It felt very disrespectful to both characters, I don’t think it fully worked. 


Final Thoughts: In general, this season is ok but easily one of the weaker seasons of the show. Granted, we still have nine episodes of the show. My thoughts can change DRASTICALLY over those 9 episodes. And it’s frustrating, because I don’t feel like the Arrowverse has delivered a great final season yet. I really liked Arrow’s final season, but I thought it was very good but not great. And so I’m going to finish the season. I have faith that it could be good and end on a high note…but as of now, I’m nervous for the final several episodes of the show. 







Comments