Top 5 Most Surprising 2022 Movies


Top 5 Most Surprising 2022 Movies

Yesterday I shared my picks for the top 5 biggest disappointments of 2022. But today I’m going in the opposite direction and sharing my picks for the 5 biggest surprises of 2022. Let’s get started!


5. Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers: A Disney original movie that stars Andy Samberg and John Mulaney as Chip and Dale. And when the trailers dropped I wasn’t too impressed. It really felt like a movie that was just meant for kids and didn’t have much meat to it. When you get people like Samberg and Mulaney to star in your movie, it should be funny. And parts of the trailer were funny but my excitement level for it wasn’t all that high. And then the early buzz started to come out and it was largely positive. People saying they loved the movie, they had a blast with it. So I checked it out and I dug it. I thought it was a fun, funny, and heartfelt adventure with two likable lead characters. And the trailers focused on the jokes and the antics that Chip and Dale were going to be on. But they forgot about the heart and soul of the movie, they forgot about the part that I think makes this movie what it is. It has a big heart in it, and there are a lot of heartfelt moments in the movie. It’s not an all time classic for me, it’s one of my favorite movies of the year. But for a solid piece of 90 minute entertainment I rather dug the movie. 


4. Scream (2022): Now I’ve said this a couple times before but I went into this movie without having seen the previous Scream movies. And that was kind of a mistake because Scream (1996) does get spoiled for you in this movie. And so my expectations were fairly low, I wasn’t expecting much out of it. But I watched the movie for about 25-30 minutes and thought to myself “this is pretty good. I’m digging this' '. Movie went on thinking the same thing “I’m really digging this movie”. Then it finished and I thought to myself “I thoroughly enjoyed that, that was a lot better than I was expecting it to be ''. And here we are almost a year later and I thought it was great, this is one of my favorite movies of the year. I thought the commentary worked, I do think this is the best commentary of the franchise. I liked how they brought back the legacy characters but they didn’t overshadow the new set of characters. The humor worked and I was engaged from the very beginning. So I’m excited for Scream 6 and to review and rank this franchise of movies. 


3. Avatar: The Way of Water: Now I’m pretty new to the Avatar franchise. I only saw the first movie for the first time back at the end of November. Two and a half weeks before this movie came out, I thought it was a good blockbuster but not necessarily a great one. And so going into this movie, I wasn’t sure where I was going to land on it. And I don’t want to spoil my ranking of the 2022 movies, but let’s just say it’s going to do very well on that list. I thought this movie was a BIG improvement over the original film. It had more emotions at its core. The movie is all about this family and their love for one another. Of course the visuals here are stunning, I saw this movie in 3D and that’s a great way to experience this movie. This might be the best looking movie that I’ve ever seen. And then they told a story that doesn’t follow a template like the original film. Sure, it does have elements that are familiar but the outcome and payoff was much better. And honestly, for a movie that is 3 hours and 12 minutes long it flew by. The movie moves at a nice brisk pace from plot point to plot point so I was never really bored while watching this movie. So this movie was a lot better then I felt like it was going to be going into it. 


2. Downton Abbey: A New Era: If you have seen my favorite movies of all time. If you know what kind of movies I’m into, then you could guess that stuff like Downton Abbey really isn’t my thing. So my excitement level really wasn’t that high for this movie. I went to go see it because it comes out around Mother’s Day and both my mom and my grandma are big fans of the show. So I treated them out to the movies to go watch Downton Abbey: A New Era and I haven’t seen the show or the first movie. But I kind of dug this movie, I thought it was an enjoyable period piece drama. Like I said, this genre isn’t one that I’m super invested in but when they make a good period piece drama film I can have a good time with it. And that’s the case with this movie, I dug this movie. It has just enough humor inside of it, some character that I thoroughly enjoyed. On a production and costume level it’s top notch, it’s great. It’s not really my thing, I wouldn’t choose to just throw this one just to watch it. But I’m glad I watched it once and I dug the movie that I got. 


1. Fantastic Beasts the Secrets of Dumbledore: So I love the Harry Potter franchise, those eight movies range from really good to best of all time. BUT, I can’t say the same about the Fantastic Beasts franchise. They just lost some of the magic (no pun intended) of what made those eight movies so good. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was ok, it was kind of forgettable. And then Fantastic Beasts the Crimes of Grindelwald was bad, that was a legitimately bad movie with a bad story. So my excitement level for this movie was kind of all over the place. I was excited in the sense that we were getting another movie in this franchise. I love going to this world and going on adventures. But since I did NOT, not one bit like the last movie that dampered my excitement for this movie. And I went to go see the movie and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was EASILY the best of the trilogy, it was the most focused. 


Comments