Top 15 Most Anticipated 2023 Movies


Top 15 Most Anticipated 2023 Movies 

2022 is almost done and that means that 2023 is right around the corner. So today I’m going to share my 15 most anticipated movies of 2023. So let’s get started!


15. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023): Now fun fact about myself I’ve only seen The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in the Indiana Jones franchise. And so I’ve never seen that original trilogy of movies. But I do absolutely plan on watching those movies before this one comes out. And we got a trailer earlier this month and I thought it worked for me. It looks like a fun movie, Harrison Ford is always fun in big action movies like this. And I’ve heard that ¾ of the franchise are really good to great movies. So the franchise already has a great track record, so that means I have a lot of confidence in a fifth movie. I’m sure once I see the other movies in this franchise this movie could either move up on the list or get demoted, but as of now it’s number 15. And I will be reviewing the previous four films in this franchise through-out the month of June. 


14. Creed III (March 3rd, 2023): Similar to Indiana Jones I had never seen any of these movies, and I watched all of them through-out October and November. And I thoroughly enjoyed a large portion of the movies and so I’m very excited for this movie. I enjoyed the character of Adonis in the Creed movies, he’s similar and different enough from Rocky to keep things interesting and distant. And Creed II ends with Adonis moving out of Rocky’s shadow and standing on his own. Michael B. Jordan has been establishing himself as one of the type A-list actors of the past 5-10 years. So I’m very excited to see more of him, and him as Adonis is great casting. Beyond that, he’s also directing the movie and it’s directorial debut. So I’m curious as to what he’s able to do with that. Second, Jonathan Majors is the villain of the movie and this seems to be the year of Jonathan Majors. He’s also going to be Kang in the MCU, and making his debut in the third Ant-Man movie. So all of that has me very excited to check this movie out. 


13. Spider-Man: Across the Spider Verse (June 2nd, 2023): The sequel to the 2018 hit film that several people think is the greatest Spider-Man movie of all time and they think it’s a top tier comic book movie. And while I think that movie is very good, I really enjoy that movie. I’ve never loved that movie the way other people do. But with a sequel I think there’s a lot of room to expand on the mythology and make it better. With the original movie I feel like it’s super creative with its style and animation but on a story level, it’s the same story we've seen many many times before. But with a sequel they can move away from the familiar sort of storytelling and tell a weird, wacky, and truly different movie. Where they can go ACROSS THE SPIDER VERSE and tell this multiverse story. Along with that, I’m curious as to how Spider-Man 2099 is going to tie in the movie. That first trailer we got over a year ago seems like he might be a villain, that may or may not be the case. 


12. Dune: Part II (November 3rd, 2023): Dune (2021) was another movie that I didn’t love the way other people do, I still thought it was very good. And it just did a great job with the visuals and world building and I’m guessing we are getting more of that in this movie. Beyond that, that movie was very much part 1 of a 2 part story. And I haven’t read Dune or seen the 1984 movie so I don’t know how this story ends or where it goes even. Another thing with this movie that has me very excited is you have some very cool people joining the cast for the movie. Those people being Austin Butler and Florence Pugh. Austin Butler shot onto my radar with Elvis earlier this year and turned in one of the great movie performances of the year. And then Florence Pugh is quickly establishing herself as the future of Hollywood as a top tier A-list actress. So getting to spend more time in this world, seeing where the story goes, and the new additions to the cast is what I’m most excited for with this movie. 


11. Shazam! Fury of the Gods (March 17th, 2023): Now I really dug the first Shazam! The movie I thought was an absolute blast that was entertaining from beginning to end. And it gave us a great performance with Zachary Levi as the title character. And we did get a trailer at San Diego Comic Con last July, and I really dug it. I thought it was a trailer that delivered the tone and everything that I wanted from it. You get plenty of humor that worked so well in that original movie, and this movie has more of that. Likewise, I like that we are getting off the family dynamic in this movie. And I’m curious how it’s going to work with the entire Shazam! family being in this movie. Helen Mirren and Lucy Liu are joining the DCEU as the villains of the movie, and they are always fun to see. And so for whatever reason this movie is hitting all of the right beats for me. I’m really excited for this movie and it’ll be nice to get more from these characters. 


10. The Super Mario Bros Movie (April 7th, 2023): Now this is a movie where my excitement for it has gone up a whole lot. When they first announced it I was intrigued but not really sure if Illumination doing a Mario movie would work. But we got two trailers for this movie, and I’m thinking they nailed it. And they seem to be telling a classic Mario story of Boswer taking over the kingdom and Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, and other classic characters trying to stop him. And in this latest trailer we got teases of different worlds, possibly one with Donkey Kong. Looks like Mario Kart will even play a factor into the movie. And most importantly it just looks fun, it looks like it’ll be a really fun enjoyable family movie. I know some people aren’t crazy about Chris Pratt voicing Mario, that’s fair. And I don’t think he’s the best pick for Mario. It's not detracting from my excitement for the movie. 


9. Fast X (May 19th, 2023): Now I know that several people are very burned out with the Fast and Furious franchise. And I can get that, I can get why so many people have tuned out for any more movies. But for me, I still get a big kick out of this franchise and every entry delivers solid entertainment for me. And this latest one, F9 might be dumb and stupid but it’s a really fun kind of dumb and stupid. And what has me very curious about this movie is that it’s serving as part one in a two parter to close out this franchise. Beyond that you get several new and fun people joining the cast with Jason Momoa, Brie Larson, Daniela Melchoir, Alan Ritchson, and Rita Moreno and that is a fun set of actors to be joining this franchise. Jason Momoa is playing the villain of the movie, and I’m just so pumped to see him joining this franchise. So this is a movie that I don’t even need to see a trailer to get very very excited for this movie. 


8. Killers of the Flower Moon (TBA): If Fast X is a big dumb action movie designed for being a crowd pleaser of a movie. Killers of the Flower Moon is sort of the opposite of that where this is kind of an Oscar bait movie. Where it’s a western, directed by Martin Scorsese, and it stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro. And if you don’t know Leo and De Niro are THE two MAJOR collectors with Martin Scorsese. This is the 10th collaboration between Martin and De Niro and the 6th between Leo and Scorsese. Plus it’s being co-written by Eric Roth who also wrote Forrest Gump, A Star is Born (2018), Dune (2021), and several other movies. But those three movies have been nominated for Best Picture and Forrest Gump even won Best Picture. So this movie has my attention as a movie that I can’t wait to see later this year. 


7. Ghosted (TBA): Now once again, this movie is moving in a very different direction from Killers of the Flower Moon. This is an action romantic comedy that is being written by the writers of Zombieland and Deadpool. And it stars Chris Evans and Ana de Armas…I’m sold. I don’t need to know anything more about this movie to get very very excited for this movie. Chris Evans is one of my favorite actors of all time. And Ana de Armas is becoming one of my favorite actresses of all time. So having them team-up for the THIRD TIME now after Knives Out and The Gray Man also has me very very excited. And I like action comedies, when they are done right they are really fun and enjoyable to watch. With this movie, I’m not expecting it to be super layered and this masterpiece of a movie. All that I’m expecting is this fun and entertaining movie. 


6. Red One (TBA): Speaking of movies that I’m expecting to have a fun and entertaining time with…Red One is absolutely one of those movies. Where once again, this movie stars Chris Evans in an action comedy but this co-stars with Dwayne Johnson. And those are two people that I’m so happy are teaming up because I’m a HUGE fan of both of them. Both of them are fun in action movies like this, and their personalities can play off of one another really well. It’s also being directed by Jake Kasdan who worked with Dwayne Johnson on the Jumanji franchise. Two really funny and really entertaining action adventure comedies. Plus J.K. Simmons is Santa Claus. And The Rock is describing this movie as Jumanji meets Miracle on 34th Street meets Hobbs and Shaw with Harry Potter and It’s A Wonderful Life sprinkled on top of all of it. I don’t know how It’s A Wonderful Life and Hobbs and Shaw work together..but I’M SO EXCITED FOR THIS MOVIE! 


5. Oppenheimer (July 21st, 2023): Yet again…I’m sure that Oppenheimer is going to be nothing like Red One, Ghosted, or Killers of the Flower Moon or not even like any other movies on this list. If you don’t know what this movie is, it’s the new movie from Christopher Nolan and his second war film after Dunkirk. Christopher Nolan is such a great director as he directed my favorite movie trilogy of all time, The Dark Knight Trilogy. But beyond that, I think this movie wins the award for the most stacked cast of the year with Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt, Matt Damon, Robert Downey JrFlorence Pugh, Rami Malek, Jack Quaid, Alden Ehrenrich, Gary Oldman, and several other super familiar faces. And it’s also interesting that this is the first movie since Memento in which Christopher Nolan did not work with Warner Brothers on this movie. And I haven’t seen many of Christopher Nolan’s films, and I do plan on reviewing all of his movies before this one comes out. 


4. The Flash (June 23rd, 2023): A movie that has quite the story to go along with it. And they’ve been trying to get a Flash movie starring Ezra Miller ever since 2013 when they announced the DCEU. And finally they got a director and script completed and filmed a movie that is hopefully coming out in June 2023. But in the year 2022 Ezra Miller has not been doing a good job with making a good name for himself, where he was doing some very bad things. Rumors started circulating that they were going to fire Ezra from this movie, and digitally replace him with another actor. And it sounds like that’s not going to happen, and in June 2023 we will finally be able to see this movie. And as for the movie itself, I’m very excited to see it. The fact that we are getting Michael Keaton returning as Batman for this movie, I’m very excited to see it. Ben Affleck is also coming back as Batman in this movie. And besides the way he runs, I like Ezra Miller’s take on The Flash. It's a nice contrast with Grant Gustin’s take on the character. And several months back they had early test screenings for the movie, and had one back in November and all of the buzz is saying that it’s great. Everybody has nothing but positives to say about this movie. So despite some BAD production troubles and weird lead characters, I’m very excited for this movie. 


3. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quintumnia (February 17th, 2023): I never thought I would be this excited for an Ant-Man movie, but here we are my THIRD most anticipated for 2023. And this is a movie that is fascinating for a couple of different reasons. First up, it’s our movie or tv show in Phase 5. Second, this movie introduces Kang, the big bad for The Multiverse Saga. And it’s all interesting because in the past the Ant-Man franchise have been some of the more least important MCU films. They are much SMALLER movies that prop after big event films like Age of Ultron and Infinity War. So the fact that Kevin Feige decided to have this movie be the start to phase 5 and introduce the big bad has me very excited. Beyond that, I LOVED that trailer we got a couple months back. I’ve watched it several times and it feels like a return to form for Marvel. It feels like a phase 3 movie  and I mean that as a positive. So we are about a month and a half out from this movie coming out, and I can’t wait!


2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (May 5th, 2023): I will say this, my excitement for this movie and Quantumania are basically tied. So depending on the day, these two movies can switch. But as of now I’m more excited for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. And this is a movie that was supposed to come out in May 2020 but with James Gunn getting fired from Disney this movie got delayed. And so finally next May we get to see this movie and see how it closes out this trilogy. I loved the original film, I loved The Suicide Squad, I loved Peacemaker, and I really enjoyed The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special. He’s done 5 comic book related projects and ⅘ of them I think are really good to great movies. Beyond that James Gunn has teased a very emotional film, he did say that one of the Guardians will die in this movie. And we got a trailer earlier this month and you felt the emotional tone all through-out it. You can feel those big emotions all through-out the trailer for that movie. And so I’m very excited to check out this movie and see what kind of movie it delivers. 


1. Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1 (July 14th, 2023): Now ever since the release of Top Gun: Maverick I’ve kind of been on a Tom Cruise kick. And so the fact that this summer we are getting another Tom Cruise action blockbuster has me very very excited to check out. Tom Cruise is one of the great movie stars of all time. He knows how to entertain an audience and deliver what the audience wants. And these last three Mission Impossible movies seem to deliver insane action, interesting world building, and fun new stunts for Tom Cruise to pull off. And we did get a trailer for this movie back in May (over a year before its release), and man, that trailer didn’t show much. I still couldn’t tell you what the plot of the movie is but it delivered everything I wanted from it. Plus this is the first part in a two parter that will close out the Mission Impossible franchise. So I’m curious as to how they will pull that off and how this movie will start to close out this franchise. And so this is a movie that I’m very excited to see and so this is my most anticipated movie for 2022. 


There you have it, my 15 most anticipated movies of 2022. What is YOUR most anticipated movie for 2023? Is there an obvious one that I’m missing? Also, in a few days I plan on sharing 10 MORE 2023 movies that I’m excited for, so be on the lookout for that. Thanks for reading!


Comments