Marvel San Diego Comic Con Thoughts


Marvel San Diego Comic Con Thoughts/Updates

Just a couple of days we got Marvel’s big panel where they gave us updates on a whole bunch of the upcoming movies and tv shows they have planned. So I wanted to share my thoughts on the big announcements that we got. 


NOTE: One of my yearly things I like to do on my blog is rank the upcoming movies and tv shows based on my excitement. And I debated doing it after San Diego comic con, but I decided not to because D23 is happening in September and the rumor is we will get even more. So about mid-September an updated version of that list will be happening. 


Animated TV Shows: Marvel had their big Hall H panel on Saturday. But on Friday they had a mini panel where we got updates on the upcoming animated tv shows they have planned. 


  • I Am Groot: A series of shorts featuring everybody’s favorite talking tree Groot as he embarks on many adventures over the shorts. It will premiere next month, August 10th and all five episodes will drop the same day. We did get a trailer for it, and it looks fun, cute, and charming. I’m not expecting this show to be a groundbreaking show, but might be a fun 15-20 minutes of entertainment with Groot getting into crazy adventures. 


  • Spider-Man: Freshman Year: Of all of these animated tv shows this is the one that I’m the most excited about. And when they announced this show last year I thought this was going to be before Civil War for Tom Holland’s Peter Parker. But with the information they gave, this might be in a different universe. Because they said that a large portion of Spider-Man’s rogues gallery is going to be in the show. Which wouldn’t fit with the canon of the MCU because in No Way Home it’s led to believe that Tom Holland never fought Green Goblin or Doctor Octopus. So I’m thinking this takes place in a different timeline, or a different world. And two big characters that will be in the show is that Doctor Strange will be in the show. And they also said that Charlie Cox is returning to voice Daredevil in the show which is pretty cool, that’s cool to hear. 


  • What If…? Season 2: Now I wasn’t the biggest fan of What If…? season 1, I didn’t hate it or anything but it is my least favorite of the Marvel shows we’ve gotten, but still a good show. And there are so many ideas and different situations they can do with the Marvel universe, we did get some of the episodes and what they will be. A story focused around Hela, Odin vs The Mandarin (which sounds cool), Captain Carter meeting The Winter Soldier, and Tony on Sakaar with Valkyrie and Hulk. And honestly, none of those have me excited. It doesn't damber my excitement for this season but they aren’t super interesting to me. The one that I hope we get in season 2 is what if the other half of the universe got dusted. So you have Doctor Strange, Wanda, Spider-Man, and the Guardians trying to save the original Avengers, that would be cool. And they have announced that season 3 is happening. 


  • Marvel Zombies: Honestly, not too many updates on this one we just got some photos of which Marvel characters are going to be zombies. And they did say this will be TV-MA, the first Marvel show to ever be that. So there isn’t much to go off of here. In general, I think I would want zombie episodes in different seasons of What If…? but an entire show dedicated to it seems like a bit much. 


  • X-Men ‘97: Now I know that a bunch of people have been hyping this show and have been so excited about it. For me, I’ve never really gotten into the animated X-Men tv show. I’ve tried to watch several episodes, and none of them hooked me and got me excited. The fact that Marvel Studios is doing something with the X-Men characters sounds pretty cool, and fun that we are getting mutants in the hands of Kevin Feige and Marvel. I’m excited, maybe I’ll check out the X-Men tv show and watch this, but as of now there isn’t much to get me excited for it. 


Live Action TV Shows:


UPCOMING RELEASE DATES:

  • She-Hulk: Attorney at Law-August 17th, 2022

  • Secret Invasion-Spring 2023 

  • Loki Season 2-Summer 2023

  • Echo-Summer 2023

  • Ironheart-Fall 2023

  • Agatha: Coven of Chaos-Winter 2023 or Early 2024

  • Daredevil: Born Again-Spring 2024


  • She-Hulk: Attorney at Law: The latest of these shows to be released on Disney+ the show will start on August 17th. And we’ve gotten two full trailers for this movie, and I thought the second trailer was a good bit better than the first trailer. The first trailer, I think kind of just took my surprise with the tone and the sense of humor that it was going for. This trailer seems to give more of the plot, explaining as to why Bruce Banner is in this show. And seeing Wong in this show is pretty cool, I like that he’s Phase 4’s Agent Coulson. Where he shows up in projects and is a nice spice character, it’s fun to see him. And then getting Daredevil in the second trailer is really really cool, that is really cool to see and we will talk about it more later. 


  • Secret Invasion: The first show to come out in 2023, all we know that it’s spring 2023 when that’ll be dropping. And this is one that I’m very excited about because it’s a political spy thriller show that has Skrulls invading Earth and taking over people’s bodies. That’s cool that we are getting that in a 6-hour long movie basically, that’ll be fun to see (hopefully). And Cobie Smulders aka Maria Hill was at the panel and said this will be a much darker show, this won’t be an all out joke fest. And reportedly this show will feel the most in tone to Captain America the Winter Soldier. Once we get a trailer for this show, I’m sure my excitement will go even higher than it already is. 


  • Daredevil: Born Again: The big one that was announced, and of these shows this is the one that I’m most looking forward to. Because getting Charlie Cox as Daredevil and Vincent D’Onofrio as Kingpin leading this show sounds awesome to me. That sounds like something that could be very cool. Now I haven’t seen the seasons on Netflix, it just hasn’t happened yet but I do plan on checking them out before this show drops. Also having the show be 18 episodes just seems like too much, now if they are like 25-30 minutes that might be different. But if the episodes are like 45 minutes long, then 18 episodes seems like way too much. But still, getting Daredevil in the MCU sounds awesome to me. 


  • Other Shows: Honestly, those were the big announcements when it comes to tv shows listed above were the release dates for these shows, for several of them that’s all that we got from it. So I didn’t want to talk about each of those shows, just the stuff that was announced. 


Movies: 


UPCOMING RELEASE DATES:


  • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (November 11th, 2022): The last project within Marvel’s Phase 4. And this was one that I’m more curious about than full blown excited for. Because with the death of Chadwick Boseman, it’s hard to know where to go with the story after that happened. Plus with the pandemic delaying the production of this movie plus all of the behind the scenes drama surrounding Letiaia Wright, all has me nervous for this movie. And then we got the trailer just a couple days back during the panel, and it didn’t show much. Which on the one hand I think is good, when trailers give us too much it’s not a good trailer. But this one just showed images of action scenes and our characters but didn’t know the plot. It’s cool that Namor is in this movie, and seems like will be a big part of this movie. But I wanted this trailer to pitch me on the story, show me what makes this movie special and it didn’t do that. 


  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quintumnia (February 17th, 2023): The first movie in Phase 5 and the first of four MCU movies to be released in 2023. And there was a trailer released for this movie that wasn’t shown online, it sounds like only the people in attendance during the panel got to see it. But information about it has leaked online and it’s confirmed that Bill Murray will be in this movie. And MODOK will be making his MCU debut, he didn’t talk in the movie so we still don’t know who will be voicing the character, or playing the character. And it sounds like this movie will largely explore the quantum realm, which is pretty cool. Now I’m excited for this movie, I like the previous two Ant-Man movies and have fun superhero adventures. Part of what makes them fresh and unique within the MCU is that they are fun, light hearted adventures, and they have little stakes in them. So when they said that Kang is the villain for this movie, part of the charm of those first two movies seems to be getting lost in there. But overall, I’m excited to check it out. 


  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (May 5th, 2023): Of the MCU movies coming out in 2023, this is the one that I’m the most excited for. And I love the original movie, it is still one of the MCU’s best movies. The second one is a big step-down, it’s a pretty big disappointment that still has some things to offer. So after that movie I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about a third movie. But with how good of a job James Gunn did with The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker my excitement for this movie has became very very high. And the panel once again showed a trailer that was not released on the internet (might be leaked later on though). And the trailer gave us our first look at Adam Warlock, played by Will Poulter, and very curious to see how he’s going to be used in this movie. It sounds like Rocket Raccoon is going to be a driving force in this movie, he’s going to be one of the big focuses for the movie and going into his backstory. And Chukwudi Iwuji who was in Peacemaker will be playing the main villain in this movie, so that’s cool. And side note, I’m a bit surprised we didn’t get anything on the holiday special dropping this December on Disney+. 


  • Captain America: New World Order (May 3rd, 2024): And for this movie we didn’t get much, which isn’t too surprising since it’s still 2 year away. But we did get a title for this movie, and the title was also the title for the pilot episode of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. And it does have a release date for May 3rd, 2024. And a couple weeks back it was announced that Julius Onah will be directing this movie, and he’s only directed two movies prior to this one with Cloverfield Paradox and Luce, neither one of them got the best reviews so that does have me nervous for the movie. And we just don’t know much about it, we don’t know if Sebastian Stan is coming back or if Zemo is going to be in it. Is Sharon Carter going to be the villain here, we just don’t know. So once we get more information about it, this movie could move up on my most anticipated list. And the showrunner of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Malcolm Spellman is co-writing the script with Dalan Musson who also worked on that show. 


  • Thunderbolts (July 26th, 2024): This movie was announced a few months back, and I was hoping that during comic con they would have made a proper announcement about this movie and give us the cast, and give us more about it. But we do know that the team will consist of Zemo, Valentina, Yelena, Ghost, Abomination, John Walker, and Taskmaster. The movie is being directed by Jake Schreier who hasn’t done much, his most high profile film is Paper Towns from 2015. The script is by Eric Pearson who wrote Black Widow, Thor Ragnarok, Godzilla vs Kong, and wrote 8 episodes of Agent Carter. And he was the script doctor for several MCU movies. So that talent behind the camera I think is better than Captain America: New World Order. And this will be the close out for Phase 5. 


  • Fantastic Four (November 8th, 2024): The movie that will come out almost four years after it was announced. And whoever gets cast as The Fantastic Four, the internet will have a lot to say about it. Because John Krasinski and Emily Blunt are the two people that the internet wants to lead this movie. And with John Krasinski appearing as Mr. Fantastic in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness it seems like that Krasinski is the MCU’s Mr. Fantastic, it’s not confirmed that he’s going to continue but it might likely. And maybe at D23 in September we shall be getting casting, or maybe not even until the next comic con will be announced. And I’m eagerly waiting for this casting, because I really want to see what the internet’s reaction is going to be. 


  • Avengers: The Kang Dynasty and Avengers: Secret Wars (May 2nd and November 7th, 2025): I kind of want to talk about these two movies together, because my thoughts on them are pretty much the same. And it was so exciting that we got confirmation that Avengers 5 and 6 are actually happening. But what’s even more interesting is who are the Avengers? Who is going to be the leader of this team, that information is still unknown. And I’m guessing that Doctor Strange will be the leader of this team, and he’s the face of The Multiverse Saga. But beyond that, I really don’t know and I don’t know who's going to be The Young Avengers and who is going to be the normal Avengers, that I don’t know. But I’m very very excited that we got confirmation that the Avengers franchise will live on. 


Comments