Superman and Lois Season 2 SPOILER Review


Superman and Lois Season 2 SPOILER Review 

The second season of Superman and Lois has officially come to an end. This is the third Arrowverse season to finish this year. So how is it? Is it a worthy follow-up to season 1? Or was I disappointed in it? Let’s get started!


NOTE: As said in the title this post will contain SPOILERS for the entire season. If you haven’t watched this season, go do so then come back and read this post. 


The Good:


Now the best thing about this season is that it is another great looking season of television. One of the things that this show has done so well is having great looking action scenes. Where sometimes on the other Arrowverse shows, very clearly the actors are standing on a green screen. But with this show it looks like stuff that you might see in a Superman movie. Since this show is only 15 episodes they probably have more of a budget to do better looking action scenes. But there are scenes that just look really really cool. When it comes to the visuals and that look of everything this is probably the show that is the best. 


Another thing here is that it really does expand the universe. The threat here is Bizarro and being from other worlds. So it does a very different type of threat that expands everything. While we have already explored the concept of the multiverse within the Arrowverse. This show expands on that with seeing the Bizarro world. And having our Superman fight a Bizarro version of himself. And all through-out the season you get Evil Jonahtan coming into the mix here. So it changes up the character dynamics here and expands the world. 


From there let’s talk about the cast and once again it’s filled with great actors giving great performances. And what’s fun with this season is that you get the normal characters and the evil versions of the characters. So some of the actors have to play two different characters this season and it’s just fun to see. Tyler Hoechlin continues to be great playing this version of the character, and he’s just great in general. I love his portrayal of the character. But the real stand out of the season was Ian Bohen as Anderson the military guy. I wish they didn’t kill him off and we got to see more of him. I liked the vibe and the antagonism that he brought to the character. 


Finally, the season did a good job of building off of the foundation that was laid by season 1. It took all of the story lines and themes established in that season and explored them more in here. And took some in directions that I wasn’t expecting, and I appreciated that. 


The Bad:


And to be honest, I did have quite a few issues with this season. Which is unfortunate because I really wanted this season to be another great season. But unfortunately it’s not, so there is going to be a lot of ranting. 


And the big thing here is I wasn’t a fan of the direction they took some of these characters, or the story lines they had for them. Some of them I did like and I did appreciate, I liked Jordan, Lana, and Morgan Edge’s arcs in this season. I thought all of those really worked and were the best arcs for the season. But everybody else just didn’t work for me. I didn’t like what they did with Kyle Cushing this season, he was one of my favorite characters coming out of season 1. And in this season they make him this flawed person by sleeping with another woman. So Lana and Kyle get a devorce, and it even repeats some beats from season 1. Where once again he makes a mistake and has to deal with the consequences, it’s the same arc for the same character in the first two seasons. And even what they do with Sarah in this season with breaking up with Jordan because he’s hiding something is such lazy writing and stuff that this show went away from doing. That’s what The Flash, Arrow, and Supergirl do, they are the shows that have lectures about trust. This show didn’t do that, but in this season they did and it really hurt the season for me. I was so frustrated and didn’t want her and Jordan to get back together. Lois just seemed very mad for the entire season, she was yelling a lot and always had this angry look on her face. So I couldn’t really root for her in this season. John Henry Irons and her daughter didn't really work for me. I didn’t find the daughter to be this compelling character whatsoever. Even you have Jonathan And the big character I haven’t talked about yet is Clark, the star of the show and he was kind of just there for me. His arc, his journey wasn’t one of the best but also wasn’t one of the worst just right there in the middle as forgettable, fine but forgettable. 


Another issue with this season is they just cranked up the teenager anxiety so much in this season. Like previously mentioned you have Jordan and Sarah breaking up, which causes Jordan to be crying for a few episodes straight. Sarah just becomes very distant and cold because of it. Jonathan starts taking drugs that he gets from his girlfriend to be better on the football team and be stronger. He gets caught and the football team gets shut down and everybody is mad at him. But it’s all done in this over the top manner that I can’t connect with whatsoever. As somebody who is in high school, I can’t connect with any of this stuff. It’s all just lazy writing to give these characters a conflict in the season. 


Finally, I didn’t care for the villain of the season whatsoever. I thought Ally Allston was solid in the first half of the mustache twirling villain that is pulling all of the strings. And you had Bizarro as the muscle doing what she told him to do. If that was the entire season and in the finale Bizarro turns sides and defeats Ally, that would be cool. But as soon as Ally became this powerful and cosmic being that can destroy worlds and merge them. It wasn’t as interesting and the character really fell flat for me. 


Final Thoughts: I wanted to love this season. I wanted this to be another slam dunk for the show, but I thought season 2 was a HUGE step down from season 1. It had things about it that I enjoyed, elements that I thought were pretty solid. But the season didn’t handle its characters really well and those elements really held the season down for me. So it’s easily in the bottom tier when it comes to Arrowverse seasons.

Comments