10 MORE Favorite Casting Choices in Superhero Movies


10 MORE Favorite Casting Choices in Comic Book Movies 

A couple months back I shared my picks for my 10 favorite castings in comic book movies. But when I made that list, I had well more than 10 actors/actresses that I wanted to pick so today here are 10 MORE favorite casting choices in comic book movies. Let’s get started!


  • Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker/Spider-Man (Spider-Man Franchise): One that it seems like after Spider-Man: No Way Home people have been liking more and more, and I think that’s a good thing. Because I’ve always really dug Garfield’s take on the character, and I think that after Holland he is the best Spider-Man, yes I think he’s better then Maguire. But I think why I’ve always loved him is that his first movie came out in July 2012. I was 7 when that movie came out, so it was the first time I got to see a Spider-Man movie on the big screen. So he’s the Spider-Man that I have the most nostalgia for even more so than Tom Holland. And his relationship with Emma Stone in these movies is maybe the best love relationship of the three relationships, and it’s the one that feels the most like real people and not movie characters. 


  • John Cena as Christopher Smith/Peacemaker (DC Extended Universe): Of all of the casting choices on this list, this is the one that is the most recent. Where we first saw him as the character in The Suicide Squad, and he was one of the stand-out characters that had a such a fun vibe about him. And then earlier this year he starred in his own show, Peacemaker which is just fantastic. I love that show. And with his performance just really works, it’s so hard to imagine anybody else besides John Cena playing this character, that’s how good I think he is in the role. And to state the obvious, John Cena isn’t the best actor out there but for what the role requires from him, he did do a great job of playing him. 


  • Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff/The Scarlet Witch (Marvel Cinematic Universe): Just coming off of the success of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Elizabeth Olsen just shows that she is a top level talent that is going to be in Hollywood for a long time. She can play this evil witch, who is also a bitch (hehe I can rhyme) so well that she makes for a top tier MCU villain. And even with WandaVision she can change through the different decades so well, she can be fun and charming in one scene then the next scene be totally evil. Wanda is given a great character arc, and is played so well by Elizabeth Olsen. So easily, she makes this list. 


  • Jack Nicholson as Jack Napier/Joker (Batman): Maybe the most classic and tried and true version of the character. He’s a version of the character that cracks jokes, is a gangster, and has these classic gestures about him. Even his make-up is the most comic book accurate of all of the Jokers. And this version of the character wouldn’t work in The Dark Knight, or with Robert Pattinson. But where the genre was back in 1989, this character works. And Jack Nicholson is a world class actor that is having a lot of fun playing this version of the character. Some people complain about having a 50 year old man playing The Joker, that doesn’t bother me at all. 


  • Tom Hiddelston as Loki (Marvel Cinematic Universe): One of the characters that has been in the MCU the longest, over 11 years at this point. And he’s still a mainstay and an important piece in the MCU’s phase 4. And what works so well about Loki is he’s been a villain, an anti-hero, an Avenger, and the lead in his own tv show. And since he’s been a bunch of different things, that provides plenty of room for Tom Hiddelston to just shine and knock it out of the park. He’s also somebody that has great chemistry with everybody that he is partnered up with to throw-out the MCU. So his brotherly relationship with Chris Hemsworth is great but his best friend relationship with Owen Wilson is also great. So I’m very excited to have more of Loki in season 2 of Loki. 


  • Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn (DC Extended Universe): Now this just seems like lightning in a bottle type casting, whenever I watch a DC movie with Harley Quinn in it. I don’t see the gorgeous Margot Robbie, all that I see is Harley Quinn, this insane character that has connections with The Joker. And very rarely, do I not see the actor in their performance. But with all of the hate that Suicide Squad (2016) got, I didn’t see anybody hating on Robbie. And she’s probably the most fan favorite character and casting in the DCEU right now. She can play the crazy side of things really well, she has chemistry with everybody that she works with. And in Birds of Prey we get to dive in and explore different sides of her character. 


  • Michael Fassbender as Erik Lanhester/Magento (X-Men Franchise): Magneto is the most famous, iconic, and most popular X-Men villain out there. And I think both Ian McKellen and Michael Fassbender nailed playing this character. But as for me, I think with the writing that they gave Fassbender and what he was able to emote puts him above McKellen for me. Also, even in X-Men: Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix which aren’t the best X-Men movies, he was great in both of them. And he just played this guy that never set out to be a villain, but through his world view and his past turned him to do evil and evil things. I also think that Fassbender has great chemistry with James McAvoy’s Charles Xavier, and this bromance that they have is very complicated. 


  • Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow (Marvel Cinematic Universe): A character and actress that was introduced into the MCU back in May 2010 with the release of Iron Man 2. And finally in July 2021 she finally got her own movie, and finally Scarlett Johansson got to take the lead within her own project. And in each of her appearances we got to explore a different side of her character, which means that Johansson got to express a different part of her acting abilities. And so when you get to Black Widow, it’s a great performance that just shows how much of a world class actress Scarlett Johansson really is. So I understand, but it is a shame that we had to say goodbye to Scarlett Johansson, because Black Widow is one of the best MCU characters out there. 


  • Josh Brolin as Thanos (Marvel Cinematic Universe): Now Thanos is really the big bad of The Infinity Saga. And fun fact, Josh Brolin is the second actor to play Thanos inside of the MCU. When we see him in The Avengers he’s played by Damion Poitier who, fun fact, is one of Crossbones’ henchmen in Captain America: Civil War. But as far as Brolin himself, I think the voice that Brolin uses just ties everything together. And I just think that Brolin delivers one of the best motion capture/voice over performances of all time. And I feel like that without Brolin being as good as he is, then Thanos might not be as memorable or as exciting. So easily, when I was putting this list together, I knew that Josh Brolin was going to be on here. 


  • Christoper Reeves as Clark Kent/Superman (Superman Franchise): Now I do feel kind of stupid that I didn’t put this legend on my first list. And he’s easily the most important casting in a superhero movie of all time.  Superman the Movie is the movie that started it all for the comic book movie genre. Christopher Reeve shaped an entire generation, back in the 70s and 80s you only had Christopher Reeve as Superman and Michael Keaton as Batman. And since Reeves came first, he’s the more iconic and paved the way for Keaton to come and everything after him. And he’s one of those people that can play the nerdy and awkward Clark Kent and play Superman equally as well. And they feel like 2 different characters, played by the same actor. 


There you have it, 10 more of my favorite casting choices in comic book movies. What are some of your castings in superhero movies? Thanks for reading!


Comments