The Lost City Review


The Lost City (2022) Review

Today I was able to check out the latest comedy, The Lost City that stars Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum. So how is this movie? Let’s get started!


WHERE TO WATCH: Theaters (As of March 26th, 2022)

RATED: PG-13 (Bloody Images (not bad), language, and suggestive material)


The Good:


And for me the best thing about this movie is the chemistry between Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum. Both of them are actors that have a lot of movie star charisma, both of them can be fun in big movies like this. And if you have both of them together in a movie you get a lot of fun moments. And the chemistry between Bullock and Tatum is what brings this movie together and the entire movie is riding on their shoulders. So if their chemistry wasn’t as good as it was, I don’t think the movie would work as well. 


But honestly, I found everybody in this movie to be quite good and a lot of fun. It was fun seeing Daniel Radcliffe in a role that wasn’t Harry Potter, because that’s the only other role I’ve seen him in. And this character isn’t meant to have a lot of depth or be this great compelling villain, but for what the movie requires he does deliver a solid performance. It’s also fun to see Oscar from The Office in this movie as this fun side character that gets some stand out moments. But the real standout of the supporting cast is Brad Pitt who gets some of the best laughs of the entire movie. And that sequence with his character is really really good. 


And as this is a comedy you have to talk about the comedy and all of it worked for me. There wasn’t a single joke in this movie that I didn’t find to be funny. And my theater was laughing out loud for the entirety of the movie. And it’s not just one character that gets all of the best jokes, but everybody in this movie gets some moment that stands out. Two of the stand out scenes are when Brad Pitt’s character rescues Sandra Bullock’s character. And then when the leeches are attached to Channing Tatum, both of those scenes probably got the biggest reaction from my theater. 


Another thing here is it’s a movie that is never boring. It moves at a nice brisk pace through-out the movie. We get to the adventure side of things fairly quickly in the movie. And the rest of the movie moves fast from action scene to action scene to the next joke.  


Finally, this is a movie that is very easy to watch and consume. After watching all of the Best Picture Nominees over the last month and a half or so it was a bit refreshing to watch a movie like this that is unassuming and doesn’t demand a lot from you. This is one that if my family wanted to watch it, I’d be totally fine with seeing it again. 


The Bad:


And the big thing here is that it’s very familiar and predictable. While you are having a lot of fun going on this adventure with these characters played by fun actors. But the plot and story here is very familiar, while it is entertaining it’s not breaking any new ground when it comes to the plot. You have all of the familiar plot beats that you have in a movie like this. The emotional beats happen when they are supposed to happen. And I expected that going into this movie and my biggest concern going in, was my biggest issue coming out. 


Also, I found some of the humor in the first 20-25 minutes of the movie to fall a bit flat. I thought the humor really started to pick up when Bullock and Tatum were on screen together more. Not that the humor in the first 20-25 minutes was bad, I just thought the humor was much better during the adventure side of things. 


Final Thoughts: I was excited to check this movie, I dug the trailers for this movie and I liked the cast for the movie. And the cast was the best thing to come out of this movie. The humor also really worked for me, Brad Pitt’s sequence was the big stand out for me. But the plot is very predictable and not breaking any new ground here. 


The Score: 8.3/10 (B)

Comments