The Book of Boba Fett Episode 1 Review


The Book of Boba Fett Episode 1 Review

It’s been over a year since the last live action Star Wars tv show. But it returned with The Book of Boba Fett. Episode 1 dropped on Disney+ today so I’m going to be sharing my thoughts on episode 1. 


The Good:


What I appreciate about this episode is that it is something different in the world of Star Wars. What I think the future of Star Wars needs to do more of is avoid doing Jedi vs Sith, involving the Skywalker line. And this show is something different, it’s a political show inside of the world of Star Wars. It does something that is different in this world that we know so well. 


Also, the score for the episode is fantastic. I wasn’t really expecting much from the music but when it would play it would just make that scene better and have more emotional or excitement. I might even say this music is better than The Mandalorian, which is fantastic music as well. 


And it is just fun to be in the world of Star Wars once again. Star Wars has frustrated me a number of times through-out the years. But they have done a great job of world building and making this a fun world that you want to go and visit. 


Finally, while this show does have the same tone and vibe of The Mandalorian, the type of the story here is very different from that show. These shows were both made by the same people, but they feel very different at the same time. 


The Bad:


And the big thing here is just the whole concept of the show frustrates me. Part of what made Boba Fett a great character in the original trilogy was that us as the audience didn’t know who was under the mask. With this show we learn what happened to him post Return of the Jedi but before The Mandalorian season 2 takes place. Just doesn’t interest me, and I don’t want to know more about this character. I want him to be this mysterious figure that was killed off. Maybe this is more of an issue I should aim towards the prequels. But that whole concept of the show really frustrates me a good bit. 


Also, I don’t think Boba Fett is a strong enough character to lead a show like this. I thought he was used so well in season 2 of The Mandalorian. But I don’t think that Temuera Morrison as the leading man chops for a big budgeted show like this. Plus, Boba Fett as a character is written to be very one note. He’s not written to be a fun character with a fun personality. Neither is the secondary lead of the show, Fennec Shand. I wish they had this character that made things more interesting. 


Finally, this is a slow paced episode with not much happening. I mean the first 10 minutes of the episode is giving a backstory on Boba Fett. And then it cuts to the present day and we catch up with Fett and Shand for like 10 minutes. And then the last 5-10 minutes of the episode are more flashbacks. But none of it was interesting to me, I didn’t care about how Boba Fett escaped the monster from Return of the Jedi. 


Final Thoughts: In general, I think this is a show that doesn’t really need to exist. Of all of the stories you can tell, I don’t think Boba Fett is the direction they should have gone down. And I want an underground political show in the world of Star Wars. But I don’t want Boba Fett in the lead, I want a new lead character for this show. Maybe Boba Fett shows up in a few episodes here and there. I’m going to keep on watching these episodes but I’m not interested all that much. 


Comments