Hawkeye Season SPOILER Review


Hawkeye Season SPOILER Review

Today Hawkeye, finished on Disney+ we have seen all 6 episodes of this show. So today I’m going to be sharing my thoughts on Hawkeye. Let’s get started!


NOTE: The title already says this but this post will contain SPOILERS for the entire show. So if you haven’t seen this show, go watch it then come back and read this. 


The Good:


For me the best thing about this show was Clint Barton and Kate Bishop. And I like them for multiple different reasons. First up, they just have a great dynamic and duo between the two of them. Jeremy Renner and Hailee Steinfeld have great chemistry with one another and they provide a large amount of the entertainment for the show. But the show also gives each of them a character arc. Clint is dealing with the choices that he made as Ronin in Avengers Endgame. And that sets him up for this interesting arc through-out this show. Kate is trying to be a professional superhero like Clint so this is her origin story, and she is dealing with her mother not being the nicest person in the world. So them together and separated were the best thing for this show. 


I also appreciated that this is a much smaller scale and grounded tv show then some of the other ones. With WandaVision you had two witches battling each other in the finale. In Loki, you had the time line being in trouble with time masters. Here the threat of the season is mobsters and evil crime lords in New York City. And the character of Hawkeye doesn’t need $200 million to be great. You can do Hawkeye with about $100 million. 


Speaking of having much lower stakes, the action here is done very well. And the action here is a lot of guys shooting arrows and guns and not this big bombastic action like how we saw in Spider-Man: No Way Home and The Avengers movies. And the action here is done very well, it’s shot where you can see everything that is happening. The big stand out would be the car chase in episode 3 where the camera is so crisp and in one take, it’s done very well. 


Another thing I appreciated about this show is that it felt like a complete show and that it is a mini-series. Shows like The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki, and What If…? left the door open for more seasons. But here it really felt like a complete story arc where you could do a Kate Bishop show but it won’t be a second season to this show. And Loki is the only one with it being left open that I view as a negative. 


Finally, the supporting characters here for the show are all really good. It’s of course fun getting to see more of Yelena from Black Widow, and Florence Pugh is of course great at playing her. Kate’s mom maybe could have been used better but I liked the broad idea and usage of her in the show. I thought Jack was an interesting character where you don’t know what side of the line he was going to fall on. And then even The Tracksuit Mafia are just henchman but they are written with more personality and make them pop and stand out. 


The Bad: 


And the big thing here is this show felt a bit simple and a bit too straight forward. There weren't a whole lot of big twists and turns in the show. When Yelena showed up we knew she was going to, so it was cool but not surprising. Even with Kingpin being revealed as the big boss was cool but we all kind of knew that was the direction they were going down. So I wish they throwed in an extra twist that changed our perspective on some things. 


Also, at points in time it felt like the show had a bit of an identity crisis as to who the lead was. Because in episode 1 it felt like Kate got more screen time then Clint did. And through-out the show it would feel like in one episode Kate would be the star then in the next Clint would be the star. And I think that’s a bit of an issue when you have two leads of a show. But for whatever reason I didn’t feel that way about The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. 


Finally, this isn’t necessarily a weakness of the show as a whole. But this is a show that didn’t do anything that made me love this show. But it also didn’t do much to frustrate or disappoint me either. Everything in this show is good. 


Final Thoughts: Hawkeye was a show that I was always excited for. And I did enjoy this show a good bit, it had a great central relationship between Clint and Kate. And I appreciated that this show was a more grounded and realistic show with low stakes. But like I said, this is the show that is kind of just there for me as a watchable and good enough tv show.

Comments