Spider-Man Homecoming SPOILER Review



Spider-Man Homecoming SPOILER Review

We are almost done with my Spider-Man review series. And we have made it to the first Tom Holland lead Spider-Man movie, Spider-Man: Homecoming. This has always been a personal favorite MCU movie, and always towards the top of my Spider-Man ranking. So how is this movie rewatched? Let’s get started! 


NOTE: As the title suggests this blog post will contain SPOILERS for the movie, so if you haven’t seen the movie please don’t read this. I WILL TALK SPECIFICS!


The Good:


For me the best thing about this movie is that it’s such an entertaining movie. This isn’t a top 5 or top 3 favorite MCU movie, but when it comes to being entertaining...this is a top 3 for me. The movie is populated with a fun set of characters, a wicked sharp sense of humor, and it moves at a nice quick pace. This is a movie that everytime I watch it, I’m never bored by it. Some of the other movies I feel like you have to be in the mood to sit down and watch Infinity War and Endgame. But I just put this movie on at any point in time and have a great time with it. 


Another thing about it that works is that it’s the most high school feeling Spider-Man movie. And it adds something new and different into the MCU, where this movie takes inspiration from John Hughes movies from the ‘80s. The Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield lead movies felt like the high school side of things was on the back burner. But this movie doesn’t feel that way, it puts the high school aspect front and center and it works. They even write the character of Flash Thompson to be a jerk but he’s not this muscular jock, he's a nerd like Peter Parker. Peter Parker goes on school field trips and has a handshake with his best friends. And is having trouble with girls, it feels very high school like. 


I guess somewhat tied to that, but this is a much smaller scale MCU movie. The villain of the movie, The Vulture is just trying to steal some technology to help out his family. He’s not trying to blow up New York City or the world. It’s a simple and much smaller scale MCU movie, and I liked that about it. Not every big superhero blockbuster doesn’t have to be about the world ending or the universe ending, and this movie shows that. 


From there let's talk about the cast and the characters.Tom Holland is my personal favorite of the Spider-Man actors, he acts like a teenager, he does teeanger type things, and he can play that side of the character really well. But you also buy him as Spider-Man swinging around New York City. But even all of Peter’s friends in the movie are really great, and a lot of fun. 

It’s also great getting to see Tony Stark in a new type of role, a mentor towards Peter Parker. And it’s part of the arc that the MCU has given him through-out the entirety of the MCU. Tom Holland and Robert Downey Jr. have great chemistry with one another. But the stand-out of the movie is the legendary Micheal Keaton as The Vulture, who just nails playing the different layers of the characters. You buy him as the evil businessman and also as Liz’s dad in the back half of the movie. 


While we are talking about The Vulture, let’s talk about the plot twist with his character. The main villain of the movie is also the dad of Peter’s homecoming date. And it’s one that works for me, and it always does. I still remember watching this movie in the theater and being confused for a second to realize what was going on. And it helps tie the movie together, and helps add to what I mentioned earlier of the movie having a smaller vibe about it. 


Finally, like how I mentioned before, the movie has a really nice sense of humor. When I re-watched this movie with my mom, I forgot how many really solid jokes there are in this movie. Every one of them lands, and makes me laugh. Everybody in the movie gets some sort of joke that works, it’s not just one character but everybody does. 


The Bad:


The big thing here is that the action for the movie isn’t all that memorable. It’s not bad by any means, but Sam Rami’s Spider-Man trilogy of The Amazing Spider-Man franchise had more memorable action. Even the third act of the movie isn’t super memorable, it’s just Spider-Man stopping The Vulture from pulling off a sky heist. I wish that the action for the movie wasn’t as forgettable as it is. 


Also, the 5-10 minute sequence after the fairy boat incident to the final battle of the movie that drags for me. It’s not bad by any means, but it is easily the weakest sequence of the movie. 


Final Thoughts: As of now...I would say that this is my favorite Spider-Man movie. I’ve always had a blast with this movie. As somebody who is in high school at the moment...I can relate to a number of the things that happen in the movie. And I really do think that the cast for the movie is top notch, Tom Holland is my favorite Spider-Man to date. There are some knick picks with this movie but they aren’t these big issues. 


The Score: 9.2/10 (A-)


Comments