Legends of Tomorrow Season 7 Episode 1: The Bullet Blondes Review


Legends of Tomorrow Season 7 Episode 1: The Bullet Blondes Review

Last month the 6th season of Legends of Tomorrow finished up...and yesterday the first episode from season 7 aired on The CW. This is literally the shortest gap from the end of a season to the beginning of the next season I can think of. But how is this episode? Let’s get started! 


The Good:


For me the best thing about this movie is that it is just a fun episode of the show. This is an episode that isn’t trying to be the biggest or the best episode of the show. All it is trying to do is deliver on some fun Legends of Tomorrow hijinks and that’s what I got. You have them trying to create a circus in the first half of the episode, in the second half you have them robbing a bank. All of it is a lot of fun, and I was never bored by this episode. 


Another thing this episode does well is lay the groundwork for where the rest of season 7 will go. Since they don’t have the Waverider available to them they have to help save history without Gideon or using time travel. Which you can see how that could be a big part of season 7, and I think if done right could be pretty cool. 


Also, the episode does have a nice sense of humor. This kind of goes back to what I mentioned about the episode never being boring. But every minute or so is a nice joke that made me laugh, the back half of the episode and more of those moments for me. And it’s more organic humor, it’s not forced humor like how seasons 4 and 5 both did, and a little bit in season 3.


Finally, this goes back to what I mentioned earlier but since the Legends have to use their skills to escape 1925, and not technology. That causes them to make mistakes, in this episode Nate makes a mistake that could change the outcome for the rest of the season. 


The Bad:


And for me the big thing here is that the episode had way too many things going on, for the 42 minute long run time. It had The Legends trying to convince the town they are a circus, them robbing a bank, J. Edgar Hoover getting involved, Astra getting injured, Spooner’s relationship with her mom, and Zari feeling bummed out over what happened in the finale in season 6. So the episode has maybe 2 episodes worth of plot or at least 1 ½ episodes worth of plot. That is trying to squish into a 42 minute long episode. 


Also, I understand why Ava was acting the way that she was in this episode. But I think she was annoying in this episode. She’s just too narrow in her world view and starts having panic attacks because they keep on making mistakes and that could change the timeline. Once again, I understand why she would be acting that way. But it doesn’t help the fact that I don’t think she was written very well in this episode. 


The big problem here is I think this episode had a bunch of wasted potential. I think you could have done a more interesting plot line if maybe this episode takes place a few months after the events of the season 6 finale. Then have the plot of the episode take place, I think that could make for a better episode because you have some people wanting to stay in 1925, while others want to get out of there. Have some conflict between the team, that could’ve been interesting. 


Final Thoughts: After a strong 6th season, I found this episode to be a bit step down from where season 6, that finale was pretty strong. Don’t get me wrong, this was a fun episode. I was never bored by the episode. But I think the episode had too much crammed into the episode to have a focused enough story. And I don’t think they wrote Ava very well. So it’s an ok start to season 7. I won’t be updating my ranking of the season premieres, because October is a bit too busy. But the episode would be in the bottom half of the list.

Comments