Loki Characters Ranked
Just a few days ago the final episode in season 1 of Loki aired on Disney+. Now that this season is done, I wanted to rank all 12 Loki characters. Let’s get started!
NOTE: As I go into talking about these characters, there will be MASSIVE SPOILERS for the season. So please, please, please don’t read this post if you haven’t seen all of Loki.
12. Boastful Loki: A fine character that I guess I enjoyed enough. It was interesting to see Loki that looked and acted like Thor. But beyond that, I don’t think this season used the character really well. He’s set up in the post credit-scene in episode 4, and then episode 5 betrays the other Loki’s and we don’t see him again. He has like 2 minutes of screen time, and didn’t add much. They could have cut him and the reveal out of the show, and it wouldn’t have changed one bit. I wish we got to spend more time with him, like how we did with Classic Loki and Kid Loki. But as is, he’s fine, he's enjoyable enough. But it didn't leave much of an impact on me. Maybe in season 2 they will bring him back, and explore him more as a character.
11. President Loki: This character was used heavily in the marketing for the show, so I was thinking he was going to be a big part of the show. And he's not, he's in one scene in episode 5 that only lasts like 2 minutes. I thought this was going to be Phase 1 Loki as President Loki, but revealed it was a variant of Loki. It's fun seeing Tom Hiddelston play another version of Loki, and he get some nice moments here and there. When Alligator Loki bits off his hand, he just gives this scream that is weird and it made me laugh out loud. Once again, not given a character arc he's really just there to be there. But I enjoyed this character enough.
10. The Time Keepers: With the information that we got in the trailers and the first two episodes, I figured that they were going to be a big part in the season as a whole. But that’s not really the cast here. In episode 4 Loki, Sylvie, and Ravonna go to visit The Time Keepers and it’s revealed that they are just robots, and pawns for the greater threat. Which raises the question, who is the real boss. The reveal of them just being robots, didn’t affect me all that much. I was thinking that was maybe where the show was going, and it did. There isn’t a character arc with these characters, but a presence and importances to the show is pretty important.
9. Hunter B-15: A character that I thought was very underused in the season. Her one personality trait was that she's a TVA soldier, and that’s it. In episode 1 and 2 pretty much all of her dialogue is her not trusting Loki, and that’s not enough to make her super interesting. In episode 4 we see her turning and wanting to help Loki and Sylvie, but that doesn’t really go anywhere in episodes 5 and 6. And she has like 1 minute of screen time in the finale of the show. It struck me as odd when they put her on the poster, and gave her own character poster when she was just a TVA soldier. I don’t get it, and I wish they used this character a lot more in the season. But maybe in season 2 they will make her a better character.
8. Miss Minutes: A cute and fun exposition filled character. Her introduction in episode 1 is weird, odd, and is something new inside of the MCU. But that fits the vibe and the weirdness of the show so well. And she showed up in a few other episodes here and there, but like The TimeKeepers there isn’t a character arc. She’s just a cute clock that works with or for the TVA, and she’s fine. She's fun enough but didn’t do much for me. But one interesting fact, the actress that voiced here Tara Strong voiced Raven in both of the animated Teen Titans shows, so it was nice that she voiced someone inside of the MCU.
7. Kid Loki: I wasn’t really expecting much with him, but I liked his character a lot more than I thought I would. And I liked that it was revealed that he was one of the rulers of The Void, and that he was the leader of this group that Classic Loki, and Boastful Loki were a part of. As child performances go, I thought this child actor was really good as being a younger version of Loki. And he felt like he could have been a younger version of Tom Hiddelston’s Loki. One of the things that he says in episode 5 was that he killed his version of Thor, which is something I really want to see and hopefully in season 2 we get to see that.
6. He Who Remains/Kang: This was a very frustrating one for me, because certain things worked for me and certain things were questionable. First up, I thought Jonathan Major was great as Kang. He was a lot more lively and fun then I thought he would be. And he delivers a bunch of interesting expositions that are very important for the future of the MCU. But that’s all what he was used for in this episode, exposition and that’s not very interesting. I wish we had an all out battle with him, Loki and Sylvie verus Kang that would have been awesome. But we didn’t, now I’m sure future MCU projects will make Kang a much better character. But with what we have now, it's very frustrating.
5. Classic Loki: A fun character that only appeared in one episode and in on mid-credit scene. But one that I thought they gave a great arc to in the short amount of time that he had. In episode 5 they gave him just enough of a backstory so his sacrifice in episode 5 makes sense, and feels like a great ending to his character. But the best part about him was that the concept of him, the writers for the show said that Classic Loki was built on the idea of what if Loki survived Infinity War. And I like that they made that into a character inside of this show, something I wouldn’t have thought of but something that I liked. I think Richard E. Grant is very solid as the character so a very well rounded character.
4. Ravonna Renslayer: One of the most mysterious characters on the show, and this was one that had a lot of potential, but wasn’t used to her full potential. This is a character that I think really started off pretty weak in episodes 1 and 2, but in episode 4 they developed her as a character and made the audience learn about her place in the TVA. We learn that she doesn’t fully know everything, and she’s shocked that The Time Keepers are just puppets. As I said in my season review, my biggest issue was the finale and where it felt like they just moved all of the character arc payoff to season 2, and it happened with this character. She just leaves, and it does set up her storyline in season 2 but I wanted it resolved in season 1.
3. Sylvie Laufeydottir: A very fun and important character to the show that really set in motion the events of the show taking place. She started off as a villain trying to stop the TVA but then meets Loki and it changes her as a person and she becomes an anti-hero for episodes 3-6, and it really worked for me. Sophia Di Martino has great chemistry with Tom Hiddelston, and it’s fun seeing two different versions of Loki interacting back and forth. And she is potentially a very important character to the future of the MCU with where they end her character in episode 6 where she kind of starts the multiverse getting into trouble. She’s a very good character that didn’t make any missteps along the way.
2. Agent Mobius M. Mobius: Yes, Mobius’ last name is Mobius, don’t believe me...Google it. But this was just such a fun character. When they cast Owen Wilson, I wasn’t sure what to make of it and it didn't feel like a good choice inside of the MCU. But I was wrong, he was a GREAT choice inside of the MCU. I think the bromance between Loki and Mobius is great, Tom Hiddelston and Owen Wilson have great chemistry, and they make for one of the best duos inside of the MCU. And he’s a character that they give an arc to. In episodes 1 and 2 he’s just a TVA agent trying to help the timeline. But with the information that he learns about him being a variant, changes his perspective on the TVA and turns against them. So when he confronts Renslayer in episode 6, it’s great and tense. So easily this is one of the top tier characters on the show, and I debated putting him at number 1.
1. Loki: The central and title character of the show is the best character in the show. Where I think the big advantage to Loki in this season was that he gets to take the lead. For phases 1-3, he was just the side character, Thor’s mischievous brother, and The God of Mischief. But in this show he gets to take the lead and we spend the most time with him. We understand him as a person and what makes him tick, something that was missing in those phases. And something that the show explored. When you talk about Loki you have to talk about Tom Hiddelston as the character, and he’s great. This is an example of a lightning in a bottle type casting, it’s so hard to imagine anyone else besides Hiddelston as Loki. And in this show he can be fun, charming, and be very emotional at points in time. I think this is Hiddelston’s best performance as the character. So he is my favorite character in the show.
There you have it, my ranking of the 11 main characters on Loki. What is your favorite character? Also, remember I ranked the episodes of the show, and did a season review. Thanks for reading!
Comments