Top 5 Favorite Movie Trilogies



Top 5 Favorite Movie Trilogies


I’ve done a whole bunch of my top 10 favorite lists, so today I’m going to share not my top 10 but my top 5 favorite movie trilogies of all time. Let’s get started!


5. The Back to the Future Trilogy: One of the most fun trilogies of all time, all three of the movies are so entertaining. The first Back to the Future movie is one of the great movies of all time, and one of the most entertaining movies of all time. The concept of a 1985 high schooler going back to 1955 and visiting his parents when they were in high school is interesting. In the second movie this re-imagining of the first movie, plus going to the future in the first act of the movie. And the third movie is a western and Doc Brown gets to take the lead. At the heart and soul of this trilogy is Marty McFly and Doc Brown who are one of the great movie duos of all time. Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd have amazing chemistry, and it’s so hard to imagine anyone besides these two actors playing these characters. Alan Silverstri’s score is one of the bests of all time, and one of the most iconic movie scores of all time. So when I was putting this list together, I knew that Back to the Future had to make the list. 


4. The Original Star Wars Trilogy: I might be a bit disowned for this placement by my dad, but I still love this trilogy. And I think all three of these movies are pretty great, and tell a great story in all three of the movies. In A New Hope, Luke is just a farm boy who wants to do more. Empire Strikes Back is Luke’s Jedi origin story. And in Return of the Jedi is when he is the Jedi that we all love and the Jedi that is in his prime. The score by John Williams is one of the greatest of all time, whether it’s the theme that plays in the opening crawl, the end credits, or the Imperial March which used to be the ringtone for my phone. It’s a trilogy that launched Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher into the a-list for the past 40+ years. And the trilogy is one of the most important of all time. The Empire Strikes Back basically invented “the sequel” and is one of the great movies of all time. So this is another one that I knew had to make the list when I was putting the list together. 


3. The Captain America Trilogy: The character of Captain America is my favorite character inside of the MCU, and my favorite movie character of all time. But I think Captain America has the best trilogy inside of the MCU by a good bit. All three of the movies are all pretty great, The First Avenger is my least favorite movie inside of the trilogy, but if that is the weakest then this is a great trilogy. And there is a big online debate on whether The Winter Soldier or Civil War is the best of the trilogy, and I’ve always preferred Civil War but I can 100% understand where people say The Winter Soldier is their favorite of the trilogy. And I just find the character of Captain America to be one of the most interesting, he’s a hero out of time. He’s a 1940s hero in the 21st century and that’s very interesting. And they use him as a great point of view character where we see his different world view come in conflict with SHIELD in the second movie. And in Civil War the airport action sequence is one of the great comic book action sequences of all time. So this is one of the best movie trilogies of all time. 


2. The Andy Toy Story Trilogy: Now you might be thinking to yourself, “wait a minute aren’t there 4 Toy Story movies?” Yes, that is correct but I’m talking about the Andy Toy Story Trilogy. Where in Toy Story 1,2,3 we see this story line of Woody, Buzz, and friend with Andy. In the first movie, we see some of the pieces being set in place, in the second movie the group is separate, and in the third movie Andy grows like 10 years and gives his toys to Bonnie in the final scene of that movie. Toy Story 3 came out 11 years after Toy Story 2, and in this movie a huge amount of time passes from Toy Story 2 to Toy Story 3. It’s a great set of movies with likable characters, funny humor, heartfelt moments, and a great story line. And Toy Story 4 is the epilogue to the trilogy, it’s a “here what happened next movie”, and I think it bookends Woody’s journey pretty well. But for the first three movies, I mean my least favorite is Toy Story 2, but if that is the weakest then it’s a fantastic set of movies. 


1. The Fifty Shades Trilogy: I think we can all agree that all three of these movies are some of the best movies of all time. The chemistry between Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dorman is fantastic, and the story lines are complex and layered...JUST KIDDING! Be honest, who thought I was being serious? Um, yah I haven’t seen any of these movies...I’m 16 for crying out loud. And hopefully I will never see any of these movies. 


1. The Dark Knight Trilogy: Batman is my favorite superhero of all time. I grew up watching Batman movies and tv shows. I love the character of Batman. And some of my love for the character came from Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight Trilogy that is pretty perfect. I love all three of these movies, Batman Begins is my least favorite but is still in my top 75 movies of all time. If that one is your favorite I 100% understand why, it’s a fantastic movie. The villains in all three movies are great. They each pose a different threat towards Batman, and their plan ties into the theme of the movie. Ra’s al Ghul’s plan is fear, Joker’s plan is chaos, and Bane’s plan is chaos. Christian Bale is my personal favorite Batman, they give him the fullest story and he is a world class actor that commits to his roles. You can buy him as the public persona that is Bruce Wayne, the broken man, and the hero punching people in the face. Christopher Nolan’s direction is great, and the score by Hans Zimmer in all three of these movies is fantastic. Put all of it together you get one of the great movie franchises of all time, and in my opinion the best movie trilogy of all time. 


There you have it, my 5 favorite movie trilogies of all time. What are some of your favorite movie trilogies of all time? Thanks for reading!


Comments