My Mom's Favorite Movies



My Mom's Favorite Movies

I have to admit I was a little intimidated to write this post. Zack does a tremendous job of writing about his favorite movies, ranking movies, and analyzing them, that I was afraid anything I wrote would fall short. But I'm here to give it the ol' college try! This has gotta be the weirdest list. Ever. My movie choices are all over the place. So, for whatever it's in honor of my birthday...mom's top movies (in no particular order).

BBC Version Pride and Prejudice: This one is an absolute favorite. Yes, it's six hours long, but it's so good because it sticks to the book so well! I remember being introduced to this film my senior year of high school and absolutely falling in love with it. Jane Austin's writing really does have you guessing about wether Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth will get over themselves to finally realize their love. Ahhh! Even just thinking about the story, as I write this blog, gets my emotions going. The movie is so well cast too. Mrs. Bennett and her quips are memorable as are the characters of Lydia and Kitty. Even the cringe-worthy Mr. Collins is perfect. I rarely have the opportunity to watch this in its entirety any more, but it will always be one of my favorites. 

Harry Potter: Easily an all time favorite but writing about this one is really tough! This is a series of books and movies that are on constant repeat in my house. I listen to the audiobooks regularly in my car on my commute and now that HBO Max added the movies, I have them on all the time!  

Fast & Furious: I laughed out loud as I was typing about this franchise. It’s not cinematic genius, but there’s something about the movies that are really fun. Zack tells me I could classify this as a Taco Bell franchise … meaning that every once in a while you enjoy fast food but you don’t eat it all the time. So yes, I do enjoy these films (especially the later ones). And let’s be honest, the Rock and Vin Diesel are an excellent couple of reasons to watch this nonsense. 

Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan: Do I have to pick one movie? Or can I just add this duo to their own category? I mean, the chemistry and stories these two put together were some of my favorites. “You’ve Got Mail” and “Sleepless in Seattle” are two films I will always stop and watch when flipping channels. Not exactly sure what to say, just that I love them together. 

So I Married an Axe Murderer: I remember being terrified the first time someone suggested I watch this movie! I was in high school at the time. I hate horror films and without knowing anything about the movie, I was nervous about what it might be. Turns out it’s not a horror movie, but a Mike Myers classic that I can nearly recite word for word. That’s not really something to brag about, but I guess it shows that I watched it a ton, which would make it a favorite.

Julia Roberts: As I’ve spent time reflecting on my top choices for this blog, I’m realizing that I tend to make movie choices based on the actors. Julia Roberts is another favorite and so many of her movies are films I enjoy. In college I remember having “My Best Friend’s Wedding” on repeat. So many others: “Pretty Woman”, “America’s Sweethearts” , the Ocean 11 films, “Notting Hill”, “Erin Brockovich”, “Runaway Bride” … I just love the stories. Yeah, I’m a sap but there’s something really enjoyable about the movies. 

Legally Blonde: I actually just watched this again recently and loved it! I feel like it’s a great girl-power pump up film. Who isn’t inspired in watching Elle go from the bunny costume to high power attorney? Add in a cute love story and it’s just fun. Plus, the quotes. :) So many good quotes! 

So that’s it. My list. A random list? Yep. But all movies I enjoy and will continue to watch over and over again! 


Comments