Legends of Tomorrow Season 6 Episodes 1-6 Thoughts

 


Legends of Tomorrow Season 6 Episodes 1-6 Thoughts 


We have seen 6 episodes in the 6th season of Legends of Tomorrow. Today I wanted to share my thoughts on the first 6 episodes of the season. Now, I think after episode 8 there is going to be a break and I’m going on vacation, and don’t think I’ll be able to watch those episodes till I get back. 


General Thoughts: So the very first ranking I did on my blog was a ranking of the Legends of Tomorrow seasons, and I’ve been pretty frustrated with seasons 4 and 5. And this one I think is the best season since season 3. It’s a fun season with an interesting mystery involving the aliens who took Sara. And seasons 4 and 5 got pretty goofy and way over the top for my liking. This show feels similar to season 1, and I like that. And I was pretty nervous when they said that Gary was going to be a series regular, because Gary is a great spice character. But you don’t fool with a whole lot of salt, you want a little bit. But I’ve liked the way they have used Gary this season, really learning more about him and making him a better character. Now, I think this season is the most “there” for me. What I mean by that is it isn’t making the big mistakes that season 4 and 5 made, but it also hasn’t done anything nearly as good as season 1,2,3 so as now pretty middle of the road for me. 


Ground Control to Sara Lance (Episode 1): For me, this is the second best episode of the season just far. I mentioned that the season as a whole had a tone similar to season 1, and this is the single episode that does the best. The humor flows more organically and it’s not over played. I like the Spooner character and she has a fun introduction and she adds this new dynamic to the team. It’s also an episode that establishes the conflict of the season early on in the season, and it’s not waiting till episode 6 or 7 to do so. Now, I think the episode had like 2 episodes worth of plot. The first half seemed to move from plot point to plot point without giving any breathing room to let the audience sink in what just happened. And the designs for the aliens aren't my favorite. It looks too much like people in rubber suits, trying to make it look like aliens. But in general, a very good episode and a very good start to season 6. 


Meat: The Legends (Episode 2): This was a fun episode that worked for me. I liked the dynamic between Behrad and Zari and they have some conflict between them. And the conflict made sense, it didn’t feel forced. Another interesting dynamic here is the one between Ava and Spooner. Ava is so focused on finding Sara and she is more uptight. strict. And Spooner lived her life by herself and living by her own rules. So that conflict once again makes real sense as to why they would have conflict. The idea of a hamburger restaurant making a sauce that makes customers want more and more, it’s pretty weird but it’s definitely a fun kind of weird. I didn’t care for the villain of the episode, it was just a freak of the week villain. Where she finds an alien cocoon in her attic and that’s the way she makes the sauce. But the wife of the business owner seems to have this odd relationship with the cocoon, that plot element is too weird for me. But in general a good episode. 


The Ex-Factor (Episode 3): If episode 1 is my favorite, episode 3 is my least favorite episode. And it’s an episode that didn’t really work for me. I don’t like what they did with John in this episode. Where he’s jealous of Zari’s life in her time and her ex boyfriend. John felt so out of character and he felt like a completely different character. So when they were arguing, I was siding with Zari and seeing why she was upset. And just the idea of a singing contest for the main plot element of the episode wasn’t all that interesting to me, and it felt bland. And Zari’s ex-boyfriend being somebody that wears a big marshmallow on his head was a bit odd to me. Now the big stand-out here was Mick and we see the more human side of his character. And that he really misses Sara and wants her to come back. So in general, I didn’t hate this episode, it was just there for me. 


Bay of Squids (Episode 4): This was a fun episode because days after watching this episode, I did a project in my history class that tied into the event that this episode’s story involved. Which was the Cuban Missile Crisis in the 1960s. And having them trying to stop the Cuban Missile Crisis provides a nice ticking clock in the episode and you want to see what is going to happen. Having Nate go undercover in The White House and playing football with JFK is a lot of fun to see, this is easily Nate’s best episode of the season so far. We learn a bit more about what is going on with the aliens that took Sara. Now this episode didn’t make many big mistakes, it was just a good enough episode in a good enough season. And I think with Sara being absent in this episode a certain charm and dynamic was lost, where Caity Lotz is the anchor of the show. And when she’s not in the episode it doesn’t work as well. 


The Satanist’s Apprentice (Episode 5): This was a totally bonkers episode that really went for it. Having the episode focus around Astra and her learning to be human. And we learn a bit about John’s past with a painting that Astra finds in John’s attic. I was nervous going in because I wasn’t sure if Astra was a character that could carry an episode, I thought she did. There is this 5 minute sequence where the episode is animated, and that scene was shown in the trailer for the season. I had fun with it, the animation style that they went with worked for me. It didn’t look all that fake, I don’t know who really animated it but it looks pretty cool. And it moved the story line with Sara and we learned more about the Bishop character and his role in the season. And I really liked the actor that they got to play him. He's just this fun actor playing this fun character. Another episode that wasn’t particularly memorable for me, it’s just there for me. Even the animated sequence wasn’t as good as it could have been. 


Bishop’s Gambit (Episode 6): This was one of the high points of season 6, and my favorite episode of the season so far. It had a lot of moving pieces but it never felt overstuffed with plot lines. You have Sara’s dynamic with Bishop and some really fun moments with that. And the story line with Sara and Bishop in this episode is my favorite story line of the season so far. Caity Lotz and Raffi Barsoumian have great chemistry. The team finds Ameilia Earhart and learns more about what really happened with Sara. And each episode adds a nice layer and conflict that the team must overcome, but the team finding Sara the plot line never feels stretched out. And the episode ends with a big cliffhanger that I’m very curious to see where they take it in the rest of the season. 


There you have it, my thoughts on the first 6 episodes of Legends of Tomorrow season 6. What do you think about the season so far? Also, I’ve done similar posts like this for Superman and Lois, The Flash, and Supergirl so you can go check those out. Thanks for reading!


Comments