Disney+ Marvel Series Premieres Ranked
This past week the third Disney+ Marvel show, Loki dropped its first episode. In today’s blog post, I’m going to be ranking the three Disney+ Marvel series premieres. I was actually pretty excited to write this blog post, because I’ve done individual episode rankings for both WandaVision and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. But here I merge together three different shows. So, without further ado, let’s get started!
3. Filmed Before A Live Studio Audience (WandaVision): Now I thought this was a really fun start to both WandaVision and phase 4. My favorite thing about WandaVision as a whole was just how wacky, weird, and fun it was. And this episode has all of those elements. The last time we see Wanda in the MCU prior to this show, she was throwing down against Thanos in Avengers Endgame. Here we open up and she’s in a 1950s black and white sit-com, talking about making breakfast for Vision. The actual plot of having Vision’s boss come to dinner, and some funny hijinks that go with that. And for me the best part of this episode was that dinner scene, where it just gets creepy. And one of the scenes that feels the most like The Twilight Zone, and it’s so greatly written and directed. Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany are up to the task of playing Wanda and Vision in a 1950s sitcom. Now, honestly I don’t have a good reason as to why it’s not number 1. It’s just an episode that did a lot of things really well, and the stuff with Wanda and Agnes wasn’t the best. But it didn’t diminish my enjoyment of this episode. So this is a good episode inside of a very good tv show.
2. New World Order (The Falcon and the Winter Soldier): I thought this was the season premiere that had the best elements of what I like from the MCU. The action, character moments, and humor. On the action front, that Falcon action sequence is one of the best sequences of the entire show. And one of the best action sequences in the entire MCU, it’s so cinematic. And it’s so hard to believe that they pulled this off on a tv show budget. Granted they had like $150 million for this show, but still it’s incredible. And this might be the most character driven that the MCU has ever done. Where they explore the idea of what do Avengers do when they aren’t fighting. Especially with Bucky, he’s been found in WW1, was The Winter Soldier for 70 years, fought in Infinity War and Endgame. And now he can rest, this first time being without a war for 70+ years, and it’s somewhat satisfying seeing him go on dates with a girl. But with Sam we explore Sam’s family, and his dynamic with his sister. So we see a number of great character moments from our two leads. There are some nice touches of humor all through-out the episode, I think episode 2 was the funniest episode of the show. I would have liked a few more jokes in the episode. But in general, this was a very well done kick off a great show.
1. Glorious Purpose (Loki): When they first announced this show back at San Diego Comic Con in 2019, I was like “oh that doesn’t sound good”. But with the trailers that they have put out, I’ve gotten more and more excited. And going into this episode, I was very excited to see what this show was about. And I really dug this episode, I thought this was just such a great start to the show. It lays the foundation for this super interesting season long story line with the TVA and it builds in intrigue right out of the gate. It also has some great world building with the TVA and what their involvement in the multiverse has been. And it makes it feel bigger and more epic. This might also be the best maid of the Disney Marvel shows, with the way the episode looks and the music that is used it’s done very well. But the stand-out here is the dynamic between Tom Hiddelston and Owen Wilson where they have great chemistry. They both use their comedic timing really well, and Owen Wilson is just being Owen Wilson inside of the MCU. And this might also have the best cliffhanger ending to episode 1, where I don’t think WandaVision and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier had that “oh wow” moment that this episode had. So easily episode 1 of Loki is my favorite of the series premieres.
How would you rank the 3 Disney+ Marvel series premieres? Also, I’ve done reviews for all of these episodes, so if you want some more in depth thoughts on them. And I’ve ranked the episodes of WandaVision and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, so you can go check those out. Thanks for reading!
Comments