Top 5 Favorite Sports Movies
The sports movie genre has been around for decades. There are some great movies in the mix, and some iconic movies that people have loved and will continue to love. Today, I’m sharing my 5 favorite sports movies of all time.
5. A League of Their Own: This is a very solid baseball movie that came out in the early 90s. It’s based on a true story where during WWII all of the men are fighting in the war, they decide to have women play in the league so the company can make money. It’s just a charming comedy with likable characters. The cast here is quite good, two of the leading women are Geena Davis and Madonna, both of which do really good jobs in this movie. Tom Hanks is also in the movie as a baseball coach but is hungover and doing drugs, and it’s fun to see Hanks play this type of character. Like I said, it’s just good natured and charming. It doesn’t assume anything big from you, it’s just a movie that is fun and funny. It has a great line with “there’s no crying baseball!”. And it’s an iconic line that is fun to say when it fits in a situation. So, this isn’t one of my favorite movies of all time but it is a very solid movie.
4. McFarland, USA: A movie that I watched for the first time in my 7th grade history class, and I really dug this movie. The movie follows the basic sports movie formula with the underdog team that makes a come back. But I think this movie makes you care about the characters and the situation that these characters are in. Kevin Costner is the coach and he’s great in this movie, obviously he is a great actor so it’s no real surprise here. But he can be fun and funny but also be the coach when he needs to be. They give his character an arc, where he’s a dad but not a great dad. And threw his journey with the cross country runners he becomes a better day. I really like the actors that they got to play the kids in this movie. It also just has a nice sense of humor to everything, especially the scene where Costner goes over to one of the players house and the mom keeps on giving him enchiladas. It’s just a really funny scene, and I really like this movie. If you haven’t seen it go check it out.
3. The Sandlot: This is one of most celebrated sports movies of all time. Everybody that has seen loves it and tells everybody that hasn’t seen it to watch it. What I like about this movie, is that it kind of follows the basic sports movie formula, but it doesn’t in another sense. The movie is filled with a ton of super memorable quotes that stick with you, and you quote with other people. “You're killing me smalls' ' and “you play ball like a girl”, being prime examples of that. But the set of characters in this movie are just so likable. Scotty is a good natured kid that doesn’t fit with the other kids in this town. He’s just a good and nice kid, and it’s nice to see that. Benny is a great mentor figure to Scotty and once again a good and nice kid. Even the supporting roles are played by Karen Allen, Dennis Larey, and James Earl Jones and they are great. Everybody and everything in this movie is great and memorable.
2. Ford v Ferrari: A great movie about two car companies wanting to prove that they are faster than the competing car company. I watched the teaser for this movie, and was so excited for this movie after watching the trailer. And this movie did not disappoint, it’s entertaining, has great characters, and an engaging story. Christian Bale and Matt Damon are great in this movie, Bale plays this great racer but has this odd nature about him so well. Damon plays a cowboy with a bunch of swag really well. While they are great on their own, they are even better together. They just have great chemistry and play off one another really well. It’s also a movie that has a great sense of humor, and every couple of minutes is a nice solid joke. The car racing sequences are dynamic and exciting, and you care about what is going on. And you feel the tension when he goes too fast with the things that were set up earlier in the movie. A movie that has it all and it’s a fantastic movie.
1. Remember the Titans: I’ve sung this movie’s praise a whole lot on my blog...and I will do it some more. I’ve seen this movie about six or seven times, and every time I watch it, I love it. Once again, this is a movie that follows that basic sports movie formula but I don't really care about that. Because I’m having so much with these characters on their journey to becoming a team. All of the characters are so much fun and lively. There is no bad character in this movie. Denzel Washington is just pretty great in this movie, and was the first thing I ever saw him in. And he can play the family man and the tough coach really well. All of the football players are great, and are different from one another. And the movie has a nice sense of humor to it, Donald Faison brings a lot of the humor, but everybody is really funny. The sports journey is great and I think the best usage of the sports formula in any sports movie. And you care what is happening, and this movie has one of the best soundtracks of all time. Put the pieces together, you get my favorite sports movie and one of my favorite movies of all time.
What are some of your favorite sports movies of all time? Thank you so much for reading!
Comments