The Falcon and the Winter Soldier Review

 


The Falcon and the Winter Soldier Review


Today the final episode of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier dropped on Disney+. So today’s blog post, I’m going to be reviewing The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Let’s talk Marvel!


The Good: 


For me, the best thing about this season was the characters. They took these characters that were introduced in the movies, and gave them big character arcs. Especially Falcon, the arc that he goes on through-out this season is pretty great. In episode 1 he’s hesitant for the shield, but through-out the next couple of episodes he grows to become America’s hero in Captain America. Bucky also gets a great arc through-out the show, and I like where they start and end his character. This was my favorite performance from both Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan, they are now so used to playing these characters. I thought they both did a fantastic job in this show. You also have to talk about John Walker, who I thought was a greatly written character. He’s an antagonist toward our heroes, but he isn’t a straight up villain either. He was used very well in this show. But honestly, this show had a great set of characters and there wasn’t “the bad one” in the mix. All of them were interesting and different. 


To tie into what I just mentioned, this show is super character based. Going in, I figured it was going to be a character based. But I didn’t really know just how much they dealt with these characters. In episode 1 we basically see a day in the life of Sam and Bucky and what they do when they aren’t saving the world. But we also spend time with Sam and his family, and it’s all great stuff. 


It's also a show that has some pretty fantastic action inside of it. In episode 1 you have this fantastic Falcon action sequence in a canyon. In episode 2 you have a great truck chase. Then in the rest of the episodes you get some really cool action. And the stuff with Sam in episode 6 is pretty awesome, and cool to see him doing this stuff. It’s hard to believe that they can pull this off on television. Because I can’t think of a show that has action sequences like this. The budget for the show was $125 million, and they definitely used that budget very well. 


The show also has a great sense of humor running all through-out the show. In my opinion, episode 2 was the funniest episode of the show. It’s the episode where we saw Sam and Bucky at their best as a duo. But Zemo gets some funny moments, and in all 6 of the episodes there is a nice sense of humor. 


This show did a great job of delivering on what the trailer promised. You watch the trailers and you want a buddy comedy show with great action. And if you wanted that going into this show, you will not be disappointed. 


Finally, this show sets up some future MCU projects with where it ends in episode 6. I’m totally down if they announce a second season for this show. Because if they don’t, then it will just make no sense to me. Because they have the ingredients to make a great second season. 


The Bad: 


I thought that The Flag Smashers were used to the fullest potential. And I said before that I don’t think there is a bad character here. But I don’t think the show gave The Flag Smasher enough cool moments in the spotlight. They are good characters, but I think they could have been GREAT characters. 


Also, I thought the show could have used 1 or 2 more episodes. With WandaVision, they had 9 episodes and I think it could have worked better as 6 episodes. This show is the opposite, I think they needed an extra episode to develop The Flag Smashers, and make everything flow a bit more.


Final Thoughts: I was super excited going into this show, and this show did not disappoint. I got what I wanted from this show. It has great character arcs, action, humor, and sets up future MCU projects. As a point of reference, I liked this show more than WandaVision. This is in my top 10 favorite MCU projects. 


Thank you so much for reading! What are your thoughts on The Falcon and the Winter Soldier? Also, in a couple days I’m going to be ranking all 6 episodes, and a character ranking a few days after that.



Comments