Supergirl Season 6 Episode 1: Rebirth Review
Happy Aprils Fool's Day! But what isn't a fool is...The sixth and final season premiere of Supergirl aired a few days ago. And as I’ve reviewed the premieres of Superman and Lois and The Flash, it seemed fitting to review the season premiere for Supergirl.
The Good:
For me, Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor was the saving grace for the episode. I’ve really liked Cryer’s version of the Lex Luthor character. And whenever he has showed up in an episode since season 4 I’ve thought he’s been great in every episode. This episode is no exception, he’s just as fun and manipulative as he has always been. He also gets a great sequence rocking out to “We Are the Champions”, and that was easily the best scene of the episode.
There is some good enough action in this episode. An action scene is at the beginning of the episode, and the climax at the Fortress of Solitude is also a good sequence. Now, these aren’t amazing action sequences, but I did have a good time watching them.
Also, I thought the visuals for the episode were pretty good. There are a number of shots in space and the planet behind them. And it looks pretty good, again not amazing, but for their budget it’s good and it doesn’t look fake. I say that because I think Supergirl is the show that constantly has some weak visuals.
Finally, where the episode ends I think sets up an interesting story line for future episodes. And I’m very curious to see where the creators will take this story line. BUT, I did have quite a few issues with the episodes.
The Bad:
I think more so than The Flash season 7 premiere, this episode was affected by COVID-19. This episode was supposed to be episode 20 of season 5, but with COVID-19 it got moved to episode 1 of season 6. And they already shot 85% of this episode before production stopped, so they had to make this episode feel like a season premiere. And for this episode, I don’t think they did a good job. It just feels too much like episode 20 of season 5, rather than episode 1 of season 6. I don’t blame this episode for that, but it did hold back the episode a little bit.
Also, one of the plotlines that was teased at the end of season 5 was Alex becoming a superhero and Lex gaining superpowers. I’m not a big fan of either of those plot lines. For me, I like Alex when is the leader of the DEO and a government agent. As for Lex, I like it when he’s the mustache twirling villain with a big plan. But when they take those away, it knocks their characters back for me.
And, Brainy in this episode was very depressing and somber. Now, I understand that he is feeling the guilt of what he did in season 5, but Brainy is one of the funniest characters on the show. So when you make Brainy a sad character it sucks some of the joy and life out of the show.
Some of the humor also didn't work for me. One scene in particular, you have Kara making a joke that Alex never returns things. The show has always been a bit cheesy and goofy, and I think this is one of the show’s goofier jokes...and that’s not a good thing.
Finally, I think the episode wanted me to feel more than I actually did. This episode’s plot is Lex trying to destroy Supergirl and the world. So what should you feel? The danger of this happening, and an epic scope for everything, but I just didn’t. That’s a bit of a problem when the episode wants you to feel something, but you end not doing so.
Finally Thoughts: I was pretty excited to watch the episode, because I was very curious to see where certain plot lines end up. But I was very disappointed with what this episode turned out to be, Jon Cryer was great, but this episode had a lot of problems for me. So unfortunately, it’s one of the weaker season premieres for the show.

Comments