Superman and Lois Season Episode 1-5 Thoughts


 

Superman and Lois Season 1 Episode 1-5 Thoughts


The 5th episode of Superman and Lois aired a few days ago. And it’s going on a two month break, and will return on May 18th. It’s taking a break because of....well, the pandemic. Since we have a break, I wanted to share my thoughts on first ⅓ of the season. First, I will give my general thoughts, then tell you my thoughts on the individual episodes. Let's talk about Superman and Lois! 


General Thoughts: I’m really digging this show, the Arrowverse for the last couple of years, hasn’t been the best. This show came out, and it’s great. I’ve kind of been wanting Tyler Hoechlin to get his own for a while, and when they announced it I was excited. But I wasn’t sure about Superman having kids, especially in the first season. But, the trailer they put out about a few weeks before episode 1 aired, I dug it. And I’ve just thoroughly enjoyed this show. It has drama but the drama feels earned and makes sense. The conflict isn’t the villain in some ways, it’s more so Superman’s relationship with his boys. I’m really enjoying the different arcs that they are giving the characters. So if the other 10 episodes are on the same level as episodes 1-5, then this is easily top 10 favorite Arrowverse seasons. 


Pilot (Episode 1): I already did a review for this episode (you can check that out on my blog). But, this is still my favorite episode of the season so far. It’s just a great job of raising questions and building a mystery with the Captain Luthor character. But like I said earlier, I think the conflict comes from the family relationship more so than a villainous threat. Tyler Hoechlin and Elizabeth Tulloch are great as Clark and Lois and have a nice chemistry. I like that drama is front and center, and it’s very character based. And I think that the cliffhanger at the end of the episode made me really curious to see where the season went. Overall, a great episode that is one of the best season premieres of the Arrowverse.


Heritage (Episode 2): What this episode did well was built out the storyline with Lois and Morgan Edge, and really move things forward. I think where this episode really shines is the stuff with Captain Luthor, and why he is out to get Superman. And that scene where we see Superman on his Captain Luthor’s earth is maybe the best scene of the show so far. Now, I think the BBQ sequence is odd and feels out of place. And it just feels tacked on just to pad out the run time. It’s important to the story, but when it started I knew it was going to feel off. Maybe if they changed it a little bit, it could have been better. So an episode that is still good, but I don’t think it is as good as some of the other episodes so far. 


The Perks of Not Being A Wallflower (Episode 3): This I think is the weakest episode of the show so far. I liked that this episode focused more on the Cushing family. And we got to see how they function as a family, and the conflict within their own family. I like the little moments at the end of the episode where we see Clark as a football coach and it’s just really funny to see acting like a goofy and clumsy dad. And the plotline with Jordan joining the football team and Jonathan being a bit jealous of him, I think is an interesting plot line to move their relationship forward. But, I think at some points Jordan in this episode can be a bit annoying and when he acts annoying it brings down the episode, so in general I think this is another good episode to the show. 


Haywire (Episode 4): What I thought this episode did right was getting to see Clark as a dad. We saw him as a football coach, and I enjoy the moments when we get to see Clark as a dad to his kids. But I think that so far this is Sam Lane’s best episode, where he challenges the decisions that Clark and Lois make, and that’s interesting. It creates conflict that once again comes from family and not from a bad guy. I thought the Kilgrave character was great, he had this odd almost Hannibal Lecter vibe about him, just a creepy and odd guy. I hope we get to see more of him in the future. I think where the episode ends with the Morgan Edge character, sets up an interesting storyline for the rest of the season. So this was a great episode that really worked for me. 


The Best of Smallville (Episode 5): This was an episode that by the title and the plot, I thought was going to be a good episode. But this was a great episode, this episode did so many things right. This episode helped us understand Captain Luthor better as a character, he starts talking with Lois and it’s interesting with what is revealed at the end of the episode. This episode in general, just has this sweet and heartfelt vibe about it and it makes you feel good. I think the flashbacks really work and it’s interesting to see a young Clark with powers. The moments at the beginning with Clark getting excited about the festival, is great to see. And it ends on a cliffhanger, and I’m bummed that we have to wait two months to see what happens. 


There you have it, my thoughts on the first five episodes of Superman and Lois. What do you think about the show? Also, I highly recommend that you guys watch this show...it’s really good!


Comments