My Dad's 10 Favorite Movies!



My Dad's 10 Favorite Movies

Because my boy is the best blogger I know, I was delighted when he asked his ol’ dad to contribute a list of my 10 favorite movies. These may not be what I consider the best 10 BEST movies, or even in any order, just 10 movies I love for whatever reason. Also, Zack’s list of the most over-rated movies made me angry, and I’m still trying to work through those feelings. So hopefully he likes my list!


  • Return of the Jedi -- This is my favorite Star Wars movie, even though I think it’s probably not the best one. Empire Strikes Back is probably a better constructed movie, but this will always hold a special place in my heart. I was 10 years old when this came out, and we lived close enough to a movie theater that I could walk there to see it by myself. Now, you have to remember that big, event-like movies weren’t common like they are now, so when this movie came out, it was EVERYTHING to me and my friends. I’d go see it whenever I could scrounge up enough money or when my mom just wanted me out of the house for a few hours. I never wanted to be anybody as much as I wanted to be Luke Skywalker. 


  • 12 Angry Men -- This movie — man I could just watch this movie at any time. I’m somebody who usually just watches a movie for the pure entertainment of it (and this movie IS entertaining), but I’m so captivated by the direction and the cinematography in this movie. It’s astounding. The way they develop the characters, the way the camera moves around and isolates people. It’s just a brilliantly made film. And the drama is as tense as it comes. 


  • Day of The Jackal -- Like the movie right below, this is also a book that I read once every year or two. The manhunt is on, and even though at this point I know what happens, I’m always kind of afraid (hopeful?) the bad guy will get away with it. A masterpiece of 1970s filmmaking.


  • All the President’s Men -- This movie is rare: it’s a who-dun-it when you already know who did it. Plus, it’s a journalism movie. And a historical movie. And those are two things that I love. The way these two reporters go about building their story, piece by piece just always keeps me on the edge of my seat. I have read the book this movie is based on a half dozen times, and seen the movie at least that many times. I will never tire of either.


  • Avengers: Endgame -- This movie is on the list for two reasons. The first is that I love this movie! It was impossible to get right, with all the expectations, but they did it. The second reason, and the main reason, is because of Zack. Seeing movies together is our thing, and seeing movies is probably the thing my boy loves the most. So these moments are special to me. We saw all 20+ MCU movies, and this movie …. Well, it was just important for Zack. So, it was important to me. I’ll never forget that day -- picking him up from school with the Avengers theme blaring, waiting in line. The look on his face when the line started to move, when we got inside …. And especially when the lights came down. He was literally shaking with anticipation. This movie will always be a favorite because it will always remind me of my favorite times with my favorite kid. I’ll always think of him when watching this. Oh, and ‘Avengers! Assemble!’? Chills. Every time. 


  • A Hard Day’s Night -- The Beatles! My guys! I loved their music and finally seeing this movie all those years ago made me love those lads as people. I mean, this is why Ringo is my favorite Beatles … because he’s the best part of this movie! It’s just a happy, fun movie and I feel good when I watch it. Oh, and the music. That part is pretty great too.


  • Silence of the Lambs -- Well, this movie scared the ever-loving beejeesus out of me when I first saw it. Just masterful in every way. I like how the movie just gets inside your head and forces you to scare yourself. I can’t count how many times I’ve seen it, but it always freaks me out. I was so excited when Zack was old enough to watch this movie, because I wanted to know what he thought. This movie doesn’t have any weaknesses.


  • Goodfellas -- The best mafia/gangster movie of all time. That’s right, Godfather. I said it. This is better than the Godfather. It’s full of violent, awful people who do violent, awful things — and you end up rooting for them in this sick, twisted way. I don’t know how Scorsese does it, but I guess if I did I’d be a great film director too. Like all the movies on this list, I am always in the mood for this movie.


  • Saving Private Ryan -- The opening scene is the greatest opening scene in any movie I’ve ever seen. And Tom Hanks? Well he’s Tom Hanks and you’re not. He’s just this normal guy in the middle of this war, and if another actor — think a tough-guy — was cast in this role it wouldn’t have been the same. Hanks has this ability to bring a level of humanness to any role he plays. It’s why I like to take this journey with him and help find Private Ryan. The supporting characters are great, the direction is top-notch – everything is wonderful. And it would not have worked if it didn’t have Tom Hanks’ decency at its center.


  • Casablanca -- Yeah, Humphrey Bogart is cool. But I remember watching this movie the first time and …. Well, I take that back. I don’t remember much because all I could think of was that Ingrid Bergman was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. I was literally star-struck. So I watched it again to pick up everything I missed. Some much has been said about this movie, that I’m not sure what I would add. But they sure don’t make ‘em like Ingrid anymore.


Comments