Superman and Lois Pilot Review




Superman and Lois Pilot Review


2021 has given us a brand new CW Arrowverse show with Superman and Lois. It’s a continuation of Superman after the events of Crisis on Infinite Earths. I’ve been very excited and curious to see this show. The pilot episode aired a couple days ago, I have finally watched and now here is my review for the episode of Superman and Lois. 


The Good: 


What I liked most about this episode was the fact that it did something new and different with the Superman character. And something that we haven’t seen in a live action form or in the comics as far as I’m aware of. It deals with the idea of what happens when an older and established Superman has twin boys and how that changes him as a person. The conflict through-out the episode is Clark’s dynamic with his boys and how he is hesitant about telling his boys his secret. And it’s not Superman flying through Metropolis fighting Lex Luthor, but a new and different version. 


Also, I liked the tone with the episode. It had a similar tone to Man of Steel then it did with the previous Arrowverse shows. And maybe the other Arrowverse shows have gotten a bit to cheesy at points in time and this show didn’t do that. I think that’s a good thing because I think Superman walks better with a more grounder version of the character. 


This episode deals with themes about family and responsibility. And it added some nice emotional weight to this episode that I thought made this episode stand-out a little bit more from the previous Arrowverse shows and versions of the Superman character. And that’s really the bi thing about this episode is the emotions, the themes, and the tone made for a very interesting version of Superman. 


The cast here does a really good job. I’ve always really enjoyed Tyler Hoechlin as the character so far. And I’ve kind of wanted him to get his own show for a while now. This episode showed that he knows how to play this character. But beyond that I think Jordan Elsass and Alexander Garfin who played Clark’s twins did a very good job, and could add some emotional moments to scenes. 


Finally, I think this is the best looking Arrowverse shows out there. They didn’t use their budget on big CGI action set pieces, but making Metropolis and Smallville look very nice to look at it. And you do have a few Superman action scenes here and there and those look really cool and you can tell that they really thought about where to use their budget. 


The Bad: 


First, I mentioned that the themes hit hard and you can understand where the characters are coming from. But I think I would connect with this episode more if I was a dad (and obviously I’m not), so I don’t think I could fully connect with the themes as much. And I’m not sure if that is fully a bad thing and it wasn’t the episode’s fault. But it was something that I did notice. 


This episode is 1 hour and 15 minutes long, and they said that before that this is an extended episode with like 30 more minutes added. And I thought the episode could have used some more Superman action inside of it. Even though, I understand that they were going for more of a drama focused though rather than an action and spectacle based show. 


Final Thoughts: I know a lot of people have been really burned out on the Arrowverse, but for me I’ve always really enjoyed the Arrowverse. And this was a very good start to this show and a nice edition to the Arrowverse. And I’m very excited to see where this show goes, and excited that the Arrowverse is back.

One final thing, this weekend I do plan of ranking the Arrowverse pilot episodes, so look out for that!

Comments