Arrowverse Series Premieres Ranked


 

Arrowverse Series Premieres Ranked


About a week ago, the 8th Arrowverse show aired, Superman and Lois. Today I wanted to rank the 8 Arrowverse series premieres. With that in mind, let’s talk Arrowverse!


8. Batwoman: To be honest, I never finished watching this season because I wasn’t a super big fan of this episode. I found it blend, mediocre, and boring. I was excited for this show because I wanted to explore Gotham City in the Arrowverse. But what these people did just destroyed everything that I wanted, they made all of the characters really unlikable. And gave them dark and depressing backstories, and the reason for Kate Kane becoming Batwoman wasn’t very good. They made Batman as someone who abandoned the city so Batwoman is born, so they downed Batman in order to make Batwoman better. Beyond that the writing for the episode wasn’t very good, there was a line of dialogue where Kate Kane and her friend go into the Batcave and the guy points out that the Batman suit is awesome. Then Kate says “it would be...when a woman wears it”. That is very lame and cheesy writing. This is just not a good episode and a premiere that I didn’t like that I never finished watching the season. 


7. Black Lightning: This episode is fine, I don’t have any big issues with it but I also don’t have any big praises of it either. This season was too focused on making a statement about racism and Black Lives Matter, and I don’t mind that I just wish that it wasn’t so in your face. I wish they toned it down where they had it at 95% and maybe to 75%. I think that Cress Williams does a good job in the role, you buy him as the family man, principal, and the hero. And I think that James Remar is really good as the mentor figure to the Pierce family and adds some nice layers to the episode. But I think the idea of a retired hero coming back after an incident causes him to. Beyond that, there is one Black Lightning action scene and that’s in the finale, and the rest of the episode is really boring. So I think there are some good ideas and good performances, but I think the episode (and the season) makes some big mistakes. Therefore, the episode isn’t as good as it could have been. 


6. Supergirl: From number 6 to number 1, I think these are good episodes. But this is just a good and fun start to the show. Season 1 just has this fun and cheesy charm about it and I think this episode is a good example of that. Melissa Benoist just captures the character of Supergirl so well, and adds this layer to the show that is just a lot of fun. Jeremy Jordan as Win who is just this super funny character in the show and adds some really nice jokes. I think the conflict between Kara and Alex in this episode where Kara learns that Alex has been hiding some from her, and I think it’s a nice start to their relationship. But also, I find this episode to be fun but forgettable. It’s hard to fully remember what happens in this episode and the plot isn’t super memorable. Now, I’ve never been a big fan of the Jimmy Olsen character and so whenever he is in an episode...it can bring it down a little bit. 


5. Legends of Tomorrow: I know a lot of people on the internet aren’t a big fan of season 1, but I think that season 1 is a good season, and this is a good episode. It’s just a lot of fun to see characters like Sara Lance, Atom, Firestorm, Captain Cold, and Heat Wave come together to become a time traveling superhero team. And this is when the show was still focused on making a time traveling story and not turned into an all out comedy. It’s fun to see the different personalities between the team, where Ray has a more goofy sense of humor, Snart has a sarcastic sense of humor, and Mick’s is more dry. And just having them go back to the 60s and getting in 60s shenanigans. Now, the big complaint for season 1 are three characters, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, and Vandal Savage and when they are the main focus for the episode it definitely holds the episode back a little bit. But I think the fun side of the episode brings it up a little bit, but some of the characters aren’t very good. 


4. Stargirl: This is the most surprising Arrowverse show, I wasn’t expecting a lot from the show. Because Stargirl is an odd character, but it did come out and got some really good buzz. I finally watched it and really dug the show and this episode. The lead actress, Brec Bassinger was great as Stargirl. She has this nice personality about her that is charming. Luke Wilson is also really good and has this nice vibe that brings in his relationship with Courtney (Stargirl) . It's sweet and heartfelt. They built this mystery of who the Injustice Society of America is and what they are doing in this small town. The episode has a nice sense of humor to it, and kept me entertained from beginning to the end. When you put the characters, mystery, and humor together you get an episode that I really dug, and a season that I really dug. 


3. Superman and Lois: The newest of the Arrowverse shows had a series premiere that I thought great. I’ve liked what Tyler Hoechlin has done with the character and a more traditional take on the character. Henry Cavill is great but a very much Zack Snyder Superman. But I like that they distinguished themselves from the rest of the Arrowverse. And they did something a lot more grounded even though the main character is an alien and I think that is because of Clark’s relationship with his twins. Where the conflict comes from the dynamic between Clark and his sons and not Superman fighting aliens in space, and family drama is FAR more relatable to me. Beyond that, I think the Man of Steel type tone works for the show and it’s not so goofy as some of the other shows. And where the episode ends, has a lot of potential and I'm excited to see where that goes. So a great start to show and so excited to see where season 1 goes. 


2. Arrow: To be honest, I went back and forth between Arrow and The Flash for the best series premiere because both of them I think are pretty fantastic. But as of now, Arrow comes in at number 2. And I think this episode did a great job of setting up the Arrowverse with a darker tone, that the rest of the Arrowverse didn’t follow. But the show introduced Oliver Queen, one of my favorite tv characters of all time. And Stephen Amell adds all of the personality that you need from this character. Once again, it builds a mystery about what happened to Oliver on that island, and you want to know more about it. The action is so good and that scene where Oliver encounters the evil businessman is a great scene. And one of the great aspects of this episode and the season is the bromance between Oliver and Tommy and I think Tommy is just a really great relationship. 


1. The Flash: For me season 1 is the best season of the show, and I think the pilot episode for the show is one of the best episodes of the show to this day. It’s just a lot of fun, the humor is on point and the actors are on point. I like that Barry is very much a CSI worker in this episode and an aspect that was missed in the later seasons. But this is one of the funniest episodes of the show. The humor is just incredible and every couple of minutes is a nice solid joke. Most of them coming from Cisco or Barry trying to figure out what is going on with him. The Oliver Queen cameo is great and I like it when they show up in each other's shows. The scene where Barry is fighting Weather Wizard and Wells gives his “Run, Barry, Run” speech is one of the best moments of the season. And a great cliffhanger that made for one of the best mysteries of the Arrowverse...what is up with Harrison Wells? So an episode that has it all and my favorite Arrowverse series premiere.  


There you have it, my ranking of the 8 Arrowverse series premieres. What is your favorite Arrowverse Series Premiere?


Comments