5 Perfect Movies


5 Perfect Movies


We all have those movies that we think are perfect, back in 2020 people on Twitter were sharing 5 movies they consider perfect. And I thought, that sounds like a good idea for a blog post idea. As I went into this, I didn’t want to include two movies from the same genre, so I tried to pick a wide range of different genres for this list.  


  • Back to the Future: This is the 80s representative on the list, and this is a movie that has been beloved ever since it was released in theaters, in summer of 1985. This is a movie that I find to be perfect in every way with the story, the cast, the characters, the humor, and the score. It’s just a lot fun to see a high schooler from the 80s to back in time to see his parents when they were in high school. And they play that concept up so well that is just great. The cast and characters are a lot of fun, and are funny in their own way. Doc Brown is the wacky and crazy doctor, while George McFly’s humor is him being a weird and awkward kid. Marty McFly and Doc Brown make for one of the most fun movie duos of all time. And this movie has a wicked sharp sense of humor that makes me laugh every time that I watch this movie. The score by Alan Slivestri is fantastic and a score that is so much larger than life. So, when I was brainstorming what 80s movies should be on this list, I departed going with Empire Strikes Back or Die Hard, but at the end of the day Back to the Future made the list. 


  • Jurassic Park: This is a movie that I think is so greatly crafted with great characters, visuals, and scenes and sequences are very well done. The three main characters with Alan Grant, Elle Sattler, and Ian Malcolm that became such iconic characters that they are coming back for Jurassic World 3. I also really enjoy Alan Grant who at the beginning doesn’t like kids, but he is the one that gets stuck with the kids in the second half of the movie, and his character arc is one of my personal favorites in any movie ever. The visuals on the dinosaur are absolutely timeless, they were groundbreaking when they came out. And still look fantastic 27 years later, and if the visuals didn’t look as good, then this movie probably wouldn’t work as much as it did. Another great thing about the characters was that each of them brought a different world view of should Hammond open a park filled with dinosaurs? And this creates some nice dynamic amongst this group of characters as they answer this question. Like Back to the Future, this is a movie that has a fantastic score from John Williams to add a whole new layer to it. So, one of two representatives from the 90s, is Jurassic Park or my favorite Steven Spielberg movie. 


  • Se7en: This is my personal favorite David Fincher movie, granted I have only seen 3 movies. But what I think puts this movie above Gone Girl and Fight Club for me, is Fincher’s direction is pretty great. The way he shoots each scene is done with a great deal of perfection and just makes you feel like you are in the crime scenes with this character. And if I was to read a couple sentences of the plot of this movie, it sounds pretty generic, a rookie cop and a veteran cop work a murder case. But this movie is so much more than that with it’s storytelling, characters, and twists. And the final 10 minutes of this movie is seriously one of the best final scenes in any movie. It is just the edge of your seat thrills and you are waiting for what is going to happen. And you have this amazing line…“what’s in the box?”. And when I was doing my first draft on the list, I actually didn’t have this movie on the list. And I wanted to include a more adult 90s movie and I debate going with Goodfellas or Silence of the Lambs. And maybe I should have, but Se7en is a fantastic Fincher movie and a fantastic movie in general. 


  • The Incredibles: I know I just talked about this movie a few days ago in my 10 favorite movies of the 2000s. And I strongly thought of going with The Lion King, but I already had two movies from the 90s, and I wanted to include a movie from the 2000s. So I went with The Incredibles, and it is an animated movie. I didn’t mention this but I think the 60s almost James Bond vibe of this movie fits really well, but with modern day technology. And I just really dug the story that is in this movie, with a retired and fallen hero going back into the world as a hero. I think Syndrome is one of the best Pixar villains. And the Parr family is so entertaining the dynamic between Dash and Violet feels like actually siblings that you might know (even though they do have superpowers). I would say that this is one of the least Pixar feeling movies, and I don’t think that is a bad thing. And it provides a new spin on the superhero movie genre with an original story that we don’t get a lot of. So with so many animated movies that I could have gone with, I went with The Incredibles. Because this is one of the animated movies that I have too many memories of watching with my family. 


For the final one, I wanted to include a comic book movie. And it’s hard because do I go with The Dark Knight or Avengers Endgame? I do not know what to do, but I had to make a decision, so I’m going with… 


For the final one, I wanted to include a comic book movie. And it’s hard because do I go with The Dark

Knight or Avengers Endgame? I do not know what to do, but I had to make a decision, so I’m going with… 

  • Avengers Endgame: Like I said, I strongly debated going with The Dark Knight. But at the end of the day, Avengers Endgame has meant the most to me. It’s a movie that when I was there opening night with a packed crowd of super fans, it was one of the best days of my life. They did a great job of closing out both Tony Stark and Steve Rogers’ plot lines, and ended them very nicely. This is easily the biggest movie of all time, the biggest comic book movies of all time, and the biggest MCU movie of all time. And the epic nature of this movie is just awesome...and epic, and provides this fun and exciting story with this perspective of the previous 21 movies. And the final hour of the movies, wow, what third act it was. Two of my favorite movie moments of all time are in this third act, if you know me you can probably guess what they are. For me, the biggest Oscar snub of all time was this movie for best original score, I mean come on! This movie should have been nominated and should have won it. But hey, I can’t control what the Academy does nominate. So this is my favorite movie of all time, and with some strong competition from The Dark Knight, Avengers Endgame is one of those 5 perfect movies for me.



Comments