Top 10 Favorite Years for Movies

Top 10 Favorite Years for Movies

Movies has been such an important part of pop culture for the past 80-100 years. And over the course of those years there have been some fantastic years for movies...and years like 2020, when less than 50 movies have been released. 


10. 1993: I’m only going to mention six movies that were released during this time, but six movies that I think range from great to awesome. With some action movies you have The Fugitive starring Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones and my favorite Harrison Ford movie outside of Star Wars, and Tommy Lee Jones gives one of my favorite supporting roles in any movie ever. Jones won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for this movie. Demolition Man also came out and a great and fun movie starring Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes and has a young Sandra Bullock, and this was one of Bullock’s movies made her the A-list she is today.  Jurassic Park was released one of my favorite movies of all time, and a movie that I watched at a drive-in theater and even there it still holds up and is awesome. One of the most underrated Disney animated movies of all time A Nightmare Before Christmas came out and that is a movie with a unique animation style, catchy music, and great characters. You also get two sports movie with The Sandlot a fantastic movie about kids playing baseball in the summer time. Also Rookie of the Year a great movie about a kid who get injured and starts plying of the Chicago Cubs and a movie that is a ton of fun to watch. 


9. 1989: The final year of the 80s and in my opinion to best year for movies of the 80s. Batman came out this year and a great Batman movie that has great performances and one of my favorite Batman movies of all time. And Batman was the first dark and gritty comic book movie, and was this big massive hit when it came out. Glory a fantastic war movie starring Matthew Brodrick, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, and Cary Elwes, and if you haven’t seen that movie go check it out, it is a powerful movie. Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure with is a great comedy that the third movie just came out this year and a fun movie with quotable lines like “party on dudes” or “excellent”! Back to the Future: Part II was released it is the weakest of the trilogy, but it’s still a great movie that is worthy follow-up to the original film. The Little Mermaid the movie that kicked of the Disney Renaissance and a movie with great Disney songs that get stuck in my head when ever I listen to them. And one of the few movies that I was actually crying during was Turner and Hooch, if you’ve seen the movie then you know what I’m talking about. 


8. 1992: We will kick things off talking about my favorite movie of this year. A Few Good Men a fantastic courtroom drama starring Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson, and Demi Moore that can be dramatic but can also have it’s charming moments in it as well. It gives one of the greatest lines in movie history. “You can’t handle the truth!”. And a great comedy with My Cousin Vinny which stars Joe Pesci and Marisa Tomei, where Pesci plays a lawyer from New York City and has the work a case in the South and it’s just a funny movie, and Marisa Tomei won her one and only Oscar for this movie. And a great sports movie with A League of Their Own starring Geena Davis, Madonna, and Tom Hanks and it takes place during WWII and baseball wants to keep going so they get a bunch of girls to play baseball while the men are fighting in the war, and a great and fun movie. The rest of the movies I’m going to mention are family movies. Aladdin, Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, and A Muppets Christmas Carol. Two of those being Christmas movies that I get a kick out of every time I watch it. Aladdin being one of the great animated movies of all time. 


7. 2001: This year of movies, had a lot of movies of a lot of different genres and a lot of movies that I love. You have three great animated movies with Monsters. Inc, Shrek, and Atlantis: The Lost Empire that work in different ways and are films that I really enjoy. Two franchises also started this year with Fast and Furious and Harry Potter, and both movies are solid films in those franchises that I love. A Knight’s Tale also came out and a great comedic movies about knights starring Heath Ledger, and has supported roles with Paul Bettany and Alan Tudyk. It’s fun seeing Heath Ledger playing such a different character from the Joker. Ocean’s 11 was released and this fantastic heist film with a fantastic set of actors, and one of the most re-watchable movies of all time. And two this day is still putting out spin-offs and sequels. America’s Sweethearts came out this year as well, and this underrated rom-com with Julia Roberts, Billy Crystal, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and John Cusack and if you haven’t seen that movie it’s a great rom-com with a great cast. Spy Kids came out this year...now, is this a good movie, not it is not. But this is one of my favorite so bad it’s good movies. 


6. 2011: Let’s start talking about the comic book movies that out this year. Captain America the First Avenger came out and is one of the most underrated MCU movies, Thor also came out not as good but still a solid MCU movie. X-Men: First Class was also released this year and a great and fun X-Men prequel that works on a whole lot of different levels. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol a great film and a great Mission Impossible movie. Also you have Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Fast Five fun and action packed movies. Fast Five just added a lot of extra energy to the franchise is a fan favorite, and a lot of people think it is the best Fast and Furious movie. But my favorite movie of the year is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 was released and a fantastic ending on the franchise that is satisfying and is a near perfect movie. There are a couple more family films that came out this year Kung Fu Panda 2 and The Muppets and are two great movies and I have a blast with every time I watch them. You had comic book movies, fantasy, family, and just fun blockbuster come this year, so this year had to make the list. 


5. 2003: I was surprised to learn how many great movies came out this year. Let’s start talking about the family movies, Elf, Finding Nemo, Freaky Friday, and School of Rock. Elf being one of the best Christmas movies of all time. School of Rock is this underrated comedy starring Jack Black where he plays this lame guy who becomes this substitute teacher. Bruce Almighty also came out this fantastic comedy starring Jim Carrey and Morgan Freeman where Freeman plays god and gives his powers to Carrey and is full Jim Carrey. X2: X-Men United came out and that is one of the best X-Men movies and a great superhero sequel that improves on everything that the original film built. But my favorite movie of this year...Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl a fantastic action adventure movie with a great score and a movie that I don’t think any of it’s sequel has topped or could top it in the future. 


4. 1995: This year only have 5 movies that I wanted to mention, but all of those movies are some of my favorites of the genre. Apollo 13 came out a great Ron Howard and Tom Hanks movie and a very solid true story Sci-Fi movies. Clueless also came out a comedy that I love and is so quotable and has a young Paul Rudd in it. Die Hard With a Vengenace one of the best action movies of all time and a great Die Hard movie. Se7en also came out this year and a creepy and thrilling David Fincher movie with an amazing final 5 minutes of the movie. And the very first Pixar movie came out, and one of the first computer generated animated movies...Toy Story came out, and one of the best pixar, animated, and movies of all time. While I only mentioned 5 movies all of those movies are great movies and some of my favorites of those genres. 


3. 2004: This was the year I was born, and this year tackled a lot of different genres in movies. With action you have The Bourne Supremacy one of the best Bourne movies and a great movie. Hellboy this dark and fun comic book movie starring Ron Perlman. Mean Girls also came out this year and that is one my favorite comedies of all time, and since I’m in high school I can relate to this movie a little bit. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban also came out his year, one of the best movies in that franchise...which has a lot of great movies. The Incredibles and National Treasure came out this year which are two fun movie. The Incredibles being my favorite Pixar and arguably my favorite animated film of all time. And one of the most underrated movies of all time, The Terminal. A great Tom Hanks movie that doesn’t get talked about enough, and I think The Terminal is on Hulu. If you get a chance to check it out, differently do so. 


2. 2014: With the superhero movie side of things you have Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and X-Men: Days of Future Past, those three movies are widely regard of some of the best movies in there franchises. With Guardians and Winter Soldier those are movies that did something new with the genre, one being a political spy thriller and Star Wars inspired soap-opera. And on the animated movies there is LEGO Movie which is one of my all time favorite movies. The fact that LEGO Movie didn’t get a best animated picture nomination is shocking to me and the biggest Oscar snub. you also have Big Hero 6, How to Train Your Dragon 2, and Mr. Peabody and Sherman which are animated movies that I really enjoy. A movie that I watched for the first time this year in 2020, Gone Girl this interesting mystery thriller directed by David Fincher, and starring Ben Affleck. If you haven’t seen Gone Girl differently check it out (it is rated R and heavily rated R). I’ve seen a bunch of people say that this is the best year for movies of the past decade, I can see why. This year has a bunch of fantastic movies that came out. 


1. 2019: This year I thought worked on a whole lot of different levels and a whole bunch of movies that I love. Parasite, Joker, Knives Out, Ford v Ferrari, Marriage Story, Shazam!, and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood all different genres of movies but all fantastic movies. Parasite being one that I thought about for about 2 weeks afters seeing it. But my all time favorite movie of this year and of all time is Avengers Endgame. The movie that had the best theater experience, some of my favorite movie moments are in this movie. This year has so many movies that I love and are so re-watchable. A couple weeks ago I made a list of my Top 20 favorite movies...4 movies from this year were on that list. This is a great year for movies and my favorite year for movies. This is year easily without question, no competition is my favorite year for movies.  

Comments