Top 10 Favorite Comedies of All Time







Top 10 Favorite Comedies of All Time 


Who else likes a good laugh in a movie? Because, I do. And these are some of my favorite comedies of all time. 


10. Clueless: This is one of my favorite high school comedies of all time, you will see my other favorite high school comedies on this list. It stars Alicia Silverstone (Batgirl in Batman and Robin) as Cher who is this rich girl who befriends the new girl in school and all of the adventures that happen with that. This was I believe that first thing that I ever saw Paul Rudd and he plays Silverstone’s former step brother. Wallace Shawn plays a teacher in the movie, Donald Faison is one of the high school buddies inside of it. It has a bunch of laughs in the movie, but it can also have a little bit of heart and romance in certain points. I believe this movie is on Netflix if you haven’t seen this movie go check it out it’s just so much fun and a very funny movie. 


9. Big: One of my favorite Tom Hanks movies of all time, he has so many fantastic movies, and Big is one of them. This was the movie that projected Hanks into this other level that only Tom Hanks has been in. It’s just fun to see a teenage boy inside of a grown man’s body. It would be interesting to see how this movie would be received if it came out in the year 2020, probably very differently. This is the funniest that I think Hanks has been he just plays so well into this man-child for a person that works for me. There are some BIG laughs in this movie where he goes to party and all the men are wearing black suits and he is wearing this white suit and he stands out during the party. Overall, I love this movie, it is one of my favorite Tom Hanks movies, and one of my favorite comedies of all time. 


8. School of Rock: This is my favorite Jack Black movie, and a very underrated and under looked comedy movie of the early 2000s. This is a movie where Jack Black his this hobo musician and his roommate and he poses a substitute for a music class and this class becomes the school of rock. This is a charming little comedy that works on all most every level. Sarah Silverman plays this rude character that is the girlfriend of Dewey Finn’s roommate (Dewey Finn is Jack Black), and the movie can have great payoff in the third act of the movie. And so put the pieces together and you get this great little comedy with great performances, great characters, and a fun idea for a movie. My local high school did a theater performance of School of Rock and that was a cool experience to watch. So if you haven’t seen this movie go check it out, it’s very funny. 


7. Elf: This is my favorite christmas movie of all time, it’s funny and heartfelt. This movie has one of my favorite casts in a comedy movie. Of course, Will Ferrell as Buddy is the elf is an example of a perfect casting where it is hard to imagine anybody being as good as Will Ferrell is in this movie. James Caan, Zooey Deschanel, Mary Steenburgen, Bob Newhart, and Peter Dinklage do a nice job of filling out the cast. It’s a movie that is never boring and is quotable and one of my favorite moments is the sequence with Peter Dinklage and him being an angry elf. And when they are in the North Pole and it looks like the 1960s Frosty the Snowman cartoons. I love this movie and is quotable, funny, and heartfelt. 


6. Mean Girls: This is a bit of guilty pleasure movie that when I first watched it I liked it, but being high school now, it someways I can relate this movie. It stars Lindsay Lohan (before she left hollywood) as this girl who grew-up in Africa and her family moves to the United States and meets a group called the Plastics, and she changes as a person because of that. It also has Tina Fey, Tim Meadows, and Amy Pohler are some of the adults in the movie. Rachel McAdams is the leader of the Plastics and is a character that you love to hate. Johnathan Bennett is in it (he’s the host of the Holiday Baking Show on Food Network). This movie is so quotable with lines like “on Wednesdays we wear pink”, “that’s so fetch!”. And if you heard the reference with “on October 3rd he asked me what day it was”, that is from this movie. It’s a movie that kids under the age of 12 might not find it funny but I have a great time with this movie. 


5. Liar Liar: A fantastic Jim Carrey movie with a concept that is made for Jim Carrey to be Jim Carrey. If you don’t know what this movie is, Jim Carrey plays a lawyer who lies all the time, so his son wishes that his father will not lie, so Jim Carrey can not lie for 24 hours. That plot idea and getting actor like Jim Carrey you get one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. This movie has a lot heart with it, where Jim Carrey gets a character arc of being there for his son while it is an all out comedy, the heart is in this movie. The third act is pretty fun where it takes place at an airport and has some of the funniest Jim Carrey movies. The supporting cast has Jennifer Tilly and Cary Elwes in it so the cast is pretty good. Please, if you haven’t checked this movie out, do so it’s fantastic. 


4.  Guardians of the Galaxy: This is one of my favorite MCU movies and the funniest movie in the franchise for me. It has these actors that can be funny and just give tham a very funny script. I remember watching this movie for the first time in the theater just dying of laughter, every minute there is great joke, and it starts in the beginning and even goes all the way until the end of the movie. It is very funny but it is also very heartfelt where a character’s mom dies in the opening scene and a tree dies in the final battle in the movie. Mixed with fantastic characters you get one of the most entertaining MCU movies. And themes about family, when the group comes together they don’t really have a family, but they become a family over time. When you have a movie with a great script and great characters, you get a fantastic movie. 


3. The Mask: Unpopular opinion, this is my personal favorite Jim Carrey movie. Once again, like Liar Liar, with this concept and getting an actor like Jim Carrey in the lead, this movie is bonkers. Arguably, this is the most quotable movie in my opinion, with “p-a-r-t-why? Because I gotta” or “that was a spicy meatball”. And you have the looney toon affects in this movie his eyes pop out of the mask’s head. This is also one the most fun movie that I have seen. I can just put this movie in at any point in time and just enjoy it and laugh with it. And this was the movie that gave us Cameron Diaz as the leading lady for the movie. The villain I think is good, not the best villain but for a movie like this I thought that Peter Greene did a pretty decent job. I love this movie and laugh with it everytime that I watch this movie. 


2. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off: A classic movie that came out in 1986, and this movie is just jam packed with iconic moments. With “Bueller...Bueller...Bueller”, and the red ferrari with the song “oh yah” playing when we first see it. The parade sequence around the 60% mark is one of my favorite sequences in any movie ever. Matthew Brodrick gives one of the greatest performances in any comedy movie of all time, he is so cool and funny. His dynamic with Alan Ruck’s Cameron Frye who act like two teenagers that you might know in real life. And Ed Rooney as the antagonist who is trying to stop and get Ferris Bueller adds a lot of funny moments where he is breaking into the house. I love this movie, and like The Mask one of the most quotable movies I have ever seen and was very very close to being number 1 on this list. 


1. Knives Out: One of the most entertaining movies I saw in theaters last year. I watched the teaser trailer and loved that trailer and watched it so many times, and I was so excited to see this movie in the theaters. This movie has a fantastic cast with Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Michael Shannon, and Chirstopher Plummer that all play different characters and all of the a different sense of humor about them. Chris Evans has an obnoxious sense of humor, while Daniel Craig has a more dry sense of humor. As a murder mystery it kept me guessing form beginning to the end, and every 30-45 minutes there is a twist that changes everything that you had seen prior to that. I bet that in 10-15 years this is going to be a classic murder mystery that everybody is going to watch and everybody is going to love. 


That is my picks for my favorite comedies of all time. What are some of your favorite comedies of all time? Also, with the holiday season coming soon, what are some Christmas movie you would like to see my review?


Comments