10 Rotten Movies I Like


Today I wanted do something different, and that is give a list of 10 Rotten Movies I Like. 


You might be asking, what does a rotten movie mean? Basically I went onto Rotten Tomatoes and looked at movies that had a 60% or lower. If a movie does have a 60% or lower then it’s considered Rotten. And as I go into this, these movies are in no particular order, just 10 Movies that I Like that have a 60% or lower on Rotten Tomatoes. 


  • Justice League (40%): This is one of the most fun DCEU movies, where I enjoyed seeing Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg come together to battle aliens that is fun for me. Now I can understand where the dislike for the movie is coming from, the tone switches around a bit, and the colors change around I get that, but those issues don’t bother me as much as they do with some other people. This movie isn’t perfect but I think it’s good and doesn’t deserve that amount of hate that it gets. 


  • Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (33%): The sequel to the 1990 Christmas classic, isn’t as good as the first one, but I think it’s still a fun Christmas adventure with Kevin as the lead. I also enjoyed the addition of Tim Curry just being this antagonist to Kevin but brings a certain level of humor and entertainment to the movie. And of course the third act where Harry and Marv are victims for Kevin’s traps all of it makes me laugh and I have fun with it. Maybe the title is weird because it’s called “Home Alone 2” but it’s also called “Lost in New York”, and his home isn’t in New York so he’s not at home, very weird. 


  • Aladdin (57%): Aladdin (2019) was one of the most fun movies to come out last year. This was also one of the biggest surprises of the year where the marketing wasn’t very good and the pictures they released made the movie look not good. Then I saw the movie, and I had a ton of fun with the best part being Will Smith as the Genie. Will Smith is one of the most charismatic actors for the past 20-25 years. I understand where people are coming from and why it has a 57% because most people are done with these Disney Live Action Remakes. On the other hand, this seems to be one of the most praised DLAR (Disney Live Action Remakes), so I would have thought it would have a higher score. 


  • National Treasure 1 and 2 (46% and 36%): National Treasure 1 and 2 are my two favorite Nicolas Cage (that’s not really saying much). Both of the movies are fun films that have an interesting plot to them, that makes for a fun adventure with fun characters. Both of the movies have really good antagonists with Sean Bean and Ed Harris so put the pieces together and you get a set of two fun adventure movies. This one was a bit surprising to me because now, these movies seem to be liked by a whole lot of people so the fact that they have as low as scores that they do is surprising to me, because I thought these movies are great. 


  • Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (51%): I can understand why this movie has a 51% on Rotten Tomatoes. Some people love the answers given and some people hate the answers given. But this is a movie that when I first saw I was mixed on it, second time really liked it, and the third time more mixed on it. And it’s one that I would give a B- to. So I wouldn’t give this movie a rotten score. I would bump it out like 15-20 percent, high 60s or low 70s. This movie I have fun with, it delivers some funny moments and some nice character moments with Rey, Kylo Ren, and Leia. And once again, I understand why it has the score that it has but I still enjoyed it a good bit. 


  • Oblivion (53%): This might be Tom Cruise’s most underrated movie. Some people on the internet think it’s one of Cruise's worst movies. I thought this was a solid movie. It’s not as good as A Few Good Men, Edge of Tomorrow, or Top Gun but it is a good Sci-Fi action movie starring Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman. The marketing for the movie sold the movie as being a fast paced Sci-Fi action movie starring Tom Cruise and it’s not, it’s more of a thriller and character driven movie than a big action movie. Maybe the marketing could have been better. If the marketing was better I think this movie could have been a much better received movie. 


  • Man of Steel (56%): A movie that I just watched again and I really enjoyed. Once again like the past couple of films I mentioned, I can see why it has a 56%. Zack Snyder’s direction for the movie isn’t bad but for a Superman movie it’s a bit weird, because Superman is this hopeful, all american hero, and that’s not what Man of Steel is, it's more dark and character driven. Some people see that and don’t like that and some people see that and like it and I’m more on the positive side. And I think the movie would have received better if it wasn’t a DC or Superman movie, and in the marketing they said “inspired by Superman”, then maybe it would have been received better. But I think it has great casting, great visuals, and a great soundtrack by Hans Zimmer. 


  • Top Gun (54%): “I feel the need, the need for speed”. Top Gun is one of my Top 3 favorite Tom Cruise movies. And this is the one that I’m most shocked that it is on this list. This is a 1980s classic, that it helped launch Tom Cruise into this A-list for the past 34 years. And this seems to be widely regarded as one of Tom Cruise’s best movies. (I’m actually excited for Top Gun: Maverick). And this also my favorite movie on this list, this is Tom Cruise in his prime where he is this young air force pilot that learns a lot in the movie, and I love this movie.


  • Die Hard With A Vengeance (57%): Another movie that I’m shocked made this list. I watched this movie for the first time about a month ago and I really dug it. I think it’s easily the best Die Hard sequel and that seems to be the case with most people.  The relationship between Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson is the stand-out where you have tha flamboyant personality of Jackson and the calm and cool cop that Willis is. It’s also more of a thriller than it is a full on action movie, which changes up the dynamic in a nice way. So maybe when it came out it received the best but now it seems to be a classic for the genre and a great sequel and that is a whole lot of fun. 


  • Bruce Almighty (48%): I’m a big fan of Jim Carry and this one of my favorite Jim Carrey movies. Just the idea of Jim Carrey telling God that he keeps on treating him poorly and then God gives Jim Carry his powers. What a fun idea to have an actor like Jim Carry to portray and the fact that God is portrayed by Morgan Freeman just makes everything better. And maybe some of the reason why it has a low score on Rotten Tomatoes, is because since it does deal with christianity some people could take that the wrong way. I don’t view it that way, but I can get where people come from if that’s their big issue with the movie. 


That is my list of 10 Rotten Movies I Like. My Justice League review will drop in about a week. So look out for that in the coming days!



Comments

jan said…
Fun read, Zack!!